SME 20/3 or Oracle Delphi VI or Garrard 301

I am just about to buy a new table. I have happily owned an original oracle Delphi for 30 years! Choices are the new 20/3, Oracle Delphi VI or possibly a rebuilt Garrard 301. They all run about the same money.
The reviews and comments out there lead me to believe I will be better off using a non SME arm on the 20/3...I will probably go with a Graham Phantom. (I like the removable arm tube concept too) For now I will use my SME IV.
keep reading the SME detractors claim that the tables are lifeless. Not something you can accuse a Delphi of for sure. The HiFi News reviews of both tables are nothing short of glowing. As far as I can tell the Oracle is possibly more nimble and musical(?) while the SME is more "solid".
Your thoughts are welcom
mauidj
Wow! This thread really took on a life of its own. I re-read my 5/24 post, and it accurately reflects my experience with modded Oracle Delphi MK IV which I enjoyed for 15 years, as well as my 5-year experience with the SME 20/2 with a Graham Phantom I, and my recent experience with Albert Porter's Technics SP 10 MK IIIs with completely restored and upgraded electronics and his plinth, a Micro Seiki CU-180 mat, TTSuperClamp and an SME 312S arm for the past month.

I have not heard the new Oracle MK VI, but like most new models from high end manufacturers, I would be surprised if it was not noticeably better than my modded MK IV.

My experience has been that the Oracle with ET-2 arm was way better than anything I had before, especially after power supply, Goldmund mat, isolation feet mods, and the SME 20/2 with Graham Phantom I is noticeably better than my MK IV with ET-2. And my Technics-Porter SP 10 MK3 is way better in every way than any TT or other source component I have ever heard before. I have found that everything Albert said about it is right on, except it was still better than I imagined it would be. It is the quietest TT I have heard (contributes to great imaging, soundstage and low level detail) and has the best PRAT (likely due to its speed accuracy when playing an LP), dynamics and bass I have ever heard.

The great thing about the SME tables is they are truly setup and forget tables (a drop or 2 of oil once a year and a new belt every 4 or 5 years is about all the maintenance it needs), especially with a Graham Phantom, which is also setup and forget.

Hope this helps.
I would indeed love to hear the albert porter and dobbins designs .
If i was in the market now i would probably buy the brinkman anance with fidelity research fr 64 fx .
beautiful table second hand on audiomarkt
I'd never heard of Albert Porter until I started this thread.
So who is he and how comes so many people hang on his every word and action?
Albert bought one of these so it's got to be the best in the world kind of thing.
I'm not being critical...just puzzled by the evangelical aura surrounding his name.
Here is only what I've read on these threads:

Albert's former Walker TT was found wanting in comparison to a Technics SP10 Mark II and then Mark III by him and a listening panel of his friends. He sold the former and started refining a plinth for the SP10's. My friend just bought one of his Panzerholtz plinths for his SP10 IIa, though I haven't heard it yet. I have heard the Walker under good show conditions and the system in which it was the source sounded fantastic, so I imagine the SP10's in Albert's plinth must sound pretty good. He does like the SME 312S arm with an AirTight PC1 Supreme cartridge.

By all accounts, this is a very good analog front end and it is relatively affordable, (if you can find one) by today's top tier standards.

I would try to hear options in your own system, but I realize that may be tough and you might have to buy on faith/reviews. I bought my SME 10 without first hearing it and it has been a wonderful table, though I'm sure there are much better ones out there.
Albert is able to speak for himself. He is a successful professional photographer who has a long history of interest in truly high end audio, as an end-user. I believe you can see his current system described and listed on this site. A few years ago he made a splash here by his decision to replace his Walker turntable with a Technics SP10 MkII in a wood plinth. He now manufactures and sells plinths for the Mk II and Mk 3, and it seems that he can also source MkII's and Mk3's and have them cosmetically restored and serviced a priori in order to deliver a complete package, in some cases. (Both are scarce, and I don't know where Albert finds them.) He is also an Allnic dealer. Basically, he is a good guy who has passion for this hobby and has turned it into a bit of a business. He is no one's guru, as far as I know. Superb photographer, too.