SME 20/3 or Oracle Delphi VI or Garrard 301

I am just about to buy a new table. I have happily owned an original oracle Delphi for 30 years! Choices are the new 20/3, Oracle Delphi VI or possibly a rebuilt Garrard 301. They all run about the same money.
The reviews and comments out there lead me to believe I will be better off using a non SME arm on the 20/3...I will probably go with a Graham Phantom. (I like the removable arm tube concept too) For now I will use my SME IV.
keep reading the SME detractors claim that the tables are lifeless. Not something you can accuse a Delphi of for sure. The HiFi News reviews of both tables are nothing short of glowing. As far as I can tell the Oracle is possibly more nimble and musical(?) while the SME is more "solid".
Your thoughts are welcom
mauidj
Thanks to the last posters for getting this thread back on track...and returning civility.
The new 20/3 is a huge step forward in terms of specs. Getting closer to the 30/2 in every way..except price.
As the HiFi News reviewer said...this is the sweet spot financially in the range right now.
It seems to offer a huge bang for the bucks.
@ Dover...yes this is/was/who knows! the plan. Get the AC-1 use what I have then go from there.
Or....spend less on the table...20/3 or Oracle VI and get a really good arm and cart.
Later I can trade up the table but meanwhile have a very nice front end from the get go.
The Raven is still twice the price of the other tables and I have to fight hard to not over extend myself.
Damn it's so easy getting carried away with this stuff ;-)
I think the way forward has to be balanced and take into consideration the whole system which as I stated earlier is not exactly perfect in a couple of other areas.
Mauidj:

I noted in your earlier response that you were a pianist. The Oracle MKVI is excellent with piano music(contrary to Dover's comment). In terms of sheer musicality the Oracle MKVI (especially with the Granite base the new bearing and Micro Vibration Stabilizer System) performs at a very high level with speed in the bass/midbass registers, quietude and resolution across the frequency spectrum that exceeds its price range. The SME 20/3 table is excellent also. Ultimately, if you don’t listen to a lot of Organ music (the more massive tables may have a smidgen of additional extension/solidarity in the lowest octave) the Oracle with Phantom II tonearm could prove very satisfying. At the end of the day it’s about diminishing returns: why would you trade in an Oracle VI or SME 20/3 for the Raven at a future date if you are happy with their performance? As mentioned by previous contributors to this thread, “opinions are dime a dozen”. Go with your own preference.
Gmorris.
Sage advise indeed.
And I think your summation of the 2 tables is spot on from all the reviews and comments I have read.
I also agree that the trade up is probably unlikely. This is a more prudent path than buying the Raven now and waiting to be able to afford the better arm/cart combo....forever chasing my tail.
I also think I will be over the moon with a Delphi/Graham/good cartridge combo. I believe it will make great MUSIC.
Funny you should mention the granite base.
I was chatting with Jacques of Oracle who suggested I invest my money in a really good equipment rack/table platform before getting the granite base.
I've been offered a really great deal on a regular base Delphi so getting the granite will add about $3000 to the price tag. Plenty of money for a really effective stand I would think. My current Salamander stand is hardly stable and this investment should make a big difference system wide.
Ultimately I will of course go with my own preference...but it has been enlightening to read the comments and experiences of others before plonking down this not inconsiderable chunk of change.
Mauidj,

I havent heard the Oracle Delphi VI. The opportunity to hear high end turntables in my ends at my front door, and mine are not at the highest end. I think that if I had a Delphi VI/Graham Phantom/Dyna XV1s combo I would probably stop right there.
Wow...took the thought right out of my head mate.
The Dyna was right at the top of my list :-)
Sounds like a good combo eh!