SME 20/3 or Oracle Delphi VI or Garrard 301

I am just about to buy a new table. I have happily owned an original oracle Delphi for 30 years! Choices are the new 20/3, Oracle Delphi VI or possibly a rebuilt Garrard 301. They all run about the same money.
The reviews and comments out there lead me to believe I will be better off using a non SME arm on the 20/3...I will probably go with a Graham Phantom. (I like the removable arm tube concept too) For now I will use my SME IV.
keep reading the SME detractors claim that the tables are lifeless. Not something you can accuse a Delphi of for sure. The HiFi News reviews of both tables are nothing short of glowing. As far as I can tell the Oracle is possibly more nimble and musical(?) while the SME is more "solid".
Your thoughts are welcom
mauidj
Gmorris.
Sage advise indeed.
And I think your summation of the 2 tables is spot on from all the reviews and comments I have read.
I also agree that the trade up is probably unlikely. This is a more prudent path than buying the Raven now and waiting to be able to afford the better arm/cart combo....forever chasing my tail.
I also think I will be over the moon with a Delphi/Graham/good cartridge combo. I believe it will make great MUSIC.
Funny you should mention the granite base.
I was chatting with Jacques of Oracle who suggested I invest my money in a really good equipment rack/table platform before getting the granite base.
I've been offered a really great deal on a regular base Delphi so getting the granite will add about $3000 to the price tag. Plenty of money for a really effective stand I would think. My current Salamander stand is hardly stable and this investment should make a big difference system wide.
Ultimately I will of course go with my own preference...but it has been enlightening to read the comments and experiences of others before plonking down this not inconsiderable chunk of change.
Mauidj,

I havent heard the Oracle Delphi VI. The opportunity to hear high end turntables in my ends at my front door, and mine are not at the highest end. I think that if I had a Delphi VI/Graham Phantom/Dyna XV1s combo I would probably stop right there.
Wow...took the thought right out of my head mate.
The Dyna was right at the top of my list :-)
Sounds like a good combo eh!
Wow! This thread really took on a life of its own. I re-read my 5/24 post, and it accurately reflects my experience with modded Oracle Delphi MK IV which I enjoyed for 15 years, as well as my 5-year experience with the SME 20/2 with a Graham Phantom I, and my recent experience with Albert Porter's Technics SP 10 MK IIIs with completely restored and upgraded electronics and his plinth, a Micro Seiki CU-180 mat, TTSuperClamp and an SME 312S arm for the past month.

I have not heard the new Oracle MK VI, but like most new models from high end manufacturers, I would be surprised if it was not noticeably better than my modded MK IV.

My experience has been that the Oracle with ET-2 arm was way better than anything I had before, especially after power supply, Goldmund mat, isolation feet mods, and the SME 20/2 with Graham Phantom I is noticeably better than my MK IV with ET-2. And my Technics-Porter SP 10 MK3 is way better in every way than any TT or other source component I have ever heard before. I have found that everything Albert said about it is right on, except it was still better than I imagined it would be. It is the quietest TT I have heard (contributes to great imaging, soundstage and low level detail) and has the best PRAT (likely due to its speed accuracy when playing an LP), dynamics and bass I have ever heard.

The great thing about the SME tables is they are truly setup and forget tables (a drop or 2 of oil once a year and a new belt every 4 or 5 years is about all the maintenance it needs), especially with a Graham Phantom, which is also setup and forget.

Hope this helps.
I would indeed love to hear the albert porter and dobbins designs .
If i was in the market now i would probably buy the brinkman anance with fidelity research fr 64 fx .
beautiful table second hand on audiomarkt