why do Ortofon SPU C from the 50ies sound so good?

couldn't imagine that 60 years old carts from Ortofon sound such superb. But they do. What is the secret behind it?
thuchan
Dear Raul,

I now have a machine with the EMT JPA66 which is the ultimate phono stage / preamp for MM carts too. You are able to adjust MMs precisely and influence the sound in many ways. I do think this could give me another direction, who knows...

best & fun only - Thuchan
Dear Thuchan: I never hear/heard that great EMT so I don't have an opinion if like you say is the " ultimate phonostage/preamp ", what I can say is that is the most versatile phono stage equalizer out there.

IMHO as is important and as makes a difference that very old recordings be played through a matched inverse eq. curve as important is that any cartridge ( LOMC or MM/MI ) be matched with its precise electrical needs: this makes " the difference ".

Anyway, good to hear that you are enjoying music better than ever at your place.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
If you are thoroughly enjoying the music, then your imagination will be in overdrive and so, the music will inspire you. It will not matter in the slightest if the recording is mono or stereo, played on a Mitchel Galaxy or a BSR Monarch autochanger, that you can hear ALL of the music will be essence of your enjoyment. In partnership to this, is the enjoyment of owning of the finest Hifi equipment you ever wanted. What really is great, is we all have a multitude of different tastes that keeps us discussing the virtues of different music played on a million different setups and contraptions. This has been going on for over a century and long may it continue!
The main reason you old Ortofon sounds so good? Is because you are enjoying the listening to it. Which, is good.
I agree with Martinhall. Our brean is very selective depending of our individual education. I have some friends
who are professional musicians and they 'hear' totaly different than I. They are interested in the interpetation
of an composition by the artist and don't care about the 'noise',the 'tiks' or whatever irritating things on a record. They can ,so to speak, destil the music from the
enviroment and enjoy the 'purifyd essence' of the music
without any interest in Hi-Fi. So my quess is that Thuchan is an musician who somehow got involved in Hi-Fi and is consequently asking the wrong questions.
Regards,
Well said Martinhall, this is really true. Nevertheless "being full of music" does not prevent me from avoiding "not good sound". I am becoming more and more critical and maybe also non compromise.

Yes Nandric, you are right. I was born as a musician but no one discovered and developed my talent. The only chance I had was working with music reproduction machines which led me through different stages of believing and not believing. From my profession I learned to put only wrong questions while all the others believe they put the right questions...

enjoy the sunday evening ...

best & fun only - Thuchan