Schroder sq and the new talea

I heard there was to be a fun time of learning and comparing of these two arms at the rmaf. Since the talea is relatively new, it still has to stand the test of time with comparisons on other tables, other systems and the selective and subjective tastes of discerning audiophiles! There is to be a comparison in one of the rooms at the rmaf this year, which i wasnt able to make. I would be curious to hear some judicial, diplomatic, friendly talk about how they compared to each other in the same system and room. I currently own the origin live silver mk3 with a jan allaerts mc1bmk2 and am enjoying this combo but have become curious about the more popular "superarms" Hats off to both frank and joel.

I hope this thread draws more light rather than heat. If someone preferred one arm over the other it would be OK. With all the variables it doesnt mean that much to me. What matters to me is what it sounds like to me and in my room. With that said...

What was your bias? was it for the schroder or the talea?

cheers!...
vertigo
Bravo to you for making the effort to allow two top tonearm designers to put on a well-considered and highly anticipated display of analog reproduction prowess

Yes, specially the "Top Tonearm Designers" brought tears in my eyes. Thank you. The world is so good. A piece of wood is all you need. That gives me hope, because I found a bone from an old Mammoth, I will drill it because I think, its earthy sound will be a sonic revolution....stay tuned...
I too would like to add, that between the Schroeder and the Talea it is not a choice between two but three contenders.
Atmasphere is right - if one really knows how to get the best out of the Triplanar (I in fact always liked the name "The Wheaton" - as we called him in the late 1980ies and early 1990ies - better), it is the sonic equal of most any pivot tonearm available today.
It is just very tricky and demands in deep knowledge as well as some skill to get the very best out of it ....
If one looks just a second longer, one will see that the Talea's VTA tower is much different than the Triplanar. The Talea VTA tower itself is not round, but faceted which gives a much larger surface area for the pinch clamp. The clamp of the Talea is also very different from, and IMO superior to, the locking mechanism of the Triplanar. The Talea and Triplanar both have offset bearings, but the Triplanar uses a gimbal bearing and the Talea uses a pivot and jewel bearing. The Talea has a single arm wand from which the counter weights hang, the Triplanar has a stub that the weights hang from and a separate arm wand. The Talea's anti-skate mechanism is completely different from the moveable dog-leg of the Triplanar. Obviously, the Talea's AZ adjustment is patented and very different from the Triplanar.

But, yeah, other than all that, I guess they look like they have some similarities. :-) I own a Triplanar as well so I know how it sounds and I know how the Talea sounds.
I was not at RMAF this year, but plan/hope to be there for 2011, where I hope there will be an encore. Since vinyl is (gasp!) my secondary source, I never expect to own one of these reference arms. But we can all learn from these demonstrations and Monday morning quaterbacking. Thom recognizes these lessons:
All of these comparisons are inherrently flawed...
The takeaway from all of this, is that these are show conditions, with varying samples, and only a general sense of what this gear sounds like can be ascertained...the biggest takeaway is that we can build relationships with fellow audiophiles which can better serve us as in the future.

And as dertonarm so succinctly noted:
I for one do still believe (sounds better then "I know"...) that tonearm and cartridge (if its an LOMC then add the matching SUT to the list ) do form ONE integrative mechanical spring/mass-system and none can be "judged" ( if at all ) - not in absolute terms nor in subjective - without the other.

I could not agree more. There is never going to be an objective, universally applicable "BEST" tonearm. When you add in the vagaries of an audio show w odd rooms, uncertain AC (and A/C), etc., etc., a demonstration like the Schroeder/Talea should be fun first and informative second. By no means dispositive. But fun. Did I mention fun?

Even tho I was not there, my hat is off to Thom for "sponsoring" and to Schroeder and Talea for agreeing and providing the product. That stuff ain't cheap and the demo was not without risk (both real and marketing)! Congrats to all for making it happen. Hope to see you all in 2011.
I have put off going to RMAF but after reading this thread I am determined to be there for 2011.
I also thought I would be in Aruba last year and get to hear Dgad's system,but you know what they say about the best laid plans.
Reading this thread with all of its bobbing and weaving it seems no one can throw the big knock out punch to end this fine debate.
I do have one question for Jtinn.Having the best seat in the house for the listening session why would you happen to have a SPL meter with you.
I hope to meet everyone at RMAF next year
Best to all