VPI Enthusiasts: Going Backwards?

I've got a VPI Scout with 300 RPM motor and a Dynavector XX2MKII. I've been looking to upgrade but have not found anything SUBSTANTIALLY better that is also not crazy expensive. While I've been waiting to demo the new Feikert Woodpecker I got to thinking about my old VPI HW-19 (I think it was the MKIII version--I don't recall it was a while ago!). I ran that with an Alpheson HRS-100 arm and Garrott Brothers P-77--it was lovely. This has me thinking about going back to a HW-19 and maybe outfitting it with a really nice arm like an SME V and perhaps a Lyra Delos or my Dyna XX2. I'd also run an SDS to control the motor. Is this a crazy idea? If not, which iteration of the HW series do I want and what arm and cartridge would get the best out of this table? Are there additional upgrades available for these tables that take them beyond the sound quality obtainable when they were current models? I'm looking for a neutral sound with great speed stability and expansive soundstage and dynamics. Comments?
dodgealum
One word sums up your concerns and not knowing your budget is not a flagship price for VPI........"CLASSIC".
I would look (listen) before jumping to the Classic. HW himself has stated that the Scout and Classic are comparable in many ways, one dong some aspects of vinyl playback better than the other. So it's a lateral move.

You'll have to find the post to know how tricked out the Scout was (sorry....) It might have been here or AA.....????
I know there is a lot of positive chatter about the Classic but I cannot for the life of me see where the supposed improvement comes from over the Aries/Scout designs. I'll admit, I have not heard it but I just don't get it and am inclined to agree with Greggdeering. I think the limitations of my little Scout are several but perhaps most significant is the arm and the failure to isolate given it's rigid plinth design. My thinking is that a HW-19 with a suspended chassis and a much better arm may provide significant improvement over my Scout assuming the motor and bearing are at least as good. Just speculating here though Markd51 does raise some good points--how much money do I want to throw at an antiquated design?
Over the years I've owned 2 HW19 Jrs., a Mark III and a Mark IV. I've also owned the original Aries and a TNT HR6 with the Wheaton Triplanar arm. The Mark IV was mated with a Graham 1.5t. Of all those setups, I've enjoyed none more than the Classic.

Wendell