How important is ext. adj. for cartridge loading

Hello Folks,

A New Phono Preamplifier will soon be introduced - MSRP around $1750 - $2000

A small "focus group" questionnaire - On a Phono Preamplifier how important is it to you that MC cartridge loading is adjustable from the front panel of the amplifier? How often do you "fiddle" around with loading ? Enough to warrant the cost increase, probably about $200 for the additional switches faceplate machining etc. pricing the preamp towards the higher end of projected price?

Same goes for MM/MC switching Would external selection be preferable to a internal Jumper setting ?

Is a MUTE function desirable on the front panel as well?

MC loading is at 100, 220, 330, 500 Ohms and 47K Ohms, do you think these are OK or would you like other values?

We have designed the unit so it can be used as a fully differential unit as well with one balanced input and one balanced output, you'd need two of them for stereo, do you find this desirable? Would you prefer this mode of operation to be selectable from the outside (switch on back) or would internal jumper selection be enough?

Thanks in advance for your thought on these questions

Peter
128x128pbnaudio
Hello Folks

Seems like a LOT of features are wanted, so if we made the Phono Preamp with 5 adjustments/ selectors on the front panel as follows

1. Mute / Operate / Mono

2. Impedance 25, 50, 100, 500, 1K, 10K, 22K, 33K, 47K, 100KOhms

3. Capacitive Load 0, 50, 100, 150, 220, 330pF

4. Gain 40, 44, 48, 60, 64, 68dB

5. Input 1 / 2

Would that meet most folks requirements - and would a $2500 price point make you vote for it with your pocket book too ?

Peter
Peter, I'm happy with my Rhea, but that sure sounds like an attractive phonostage. Dave
You seem to have covered all requests and indicated what they would cost. IMHO the real question is your last one stated i.e. the pocket book vote. Going back to your original high quality sound minimal extras may actually target a buying segment better than catering to all wishes. Possible RCA plug loading options for the back, MM/MC switch, and internal capacitance or a set single capacitance and just focus on the sound. The sound quality is what will be talked about and shared, leading ultimately to us parting with what is in our pocket books.
If the preamp included all the features mentioned in you last post, then, yes, I would seriously consider buying it. Sounds too good to be true, yet I'd want a 75K impedance setting.
05-11-10: Pbnaudio
Hello Folks

Seems like a LOT of features are wanted, so if we made the Phono Preamp with 5 adjustments/ selectors on the front panel as follows

1. Mute / Operate / Mono

2. Impedance 25, 50, 100, 500, 1K, 10K, 22K, 33K, 47K, 100KOhms

3. Capacitive Load 0, 50, 100, 150, 220, 330pF

4. Gain 40, 44, 48, 60, 64, 68dB

5. Input 1 / 2

Would that meet most folks requirements - and would a $2500 price point make you vote for it with your pocket book too ?

Man did I ever get ripped off!! My phono stage cost more than twice your suggested price and the only front panel selector/adjustment is a stinkin' Mute/Operate button.......DAMN!!!

Seriously though, it does sound intriguing, good luck Peter.

Cheers,
John