Brinkmann Bardo

I just replaced a Clearaudio Avantgarde Magnum with a Brinkmann Bardo. Both had the Phantom tonearm II.

Wondering if anyone else has bought this table and what their thoughts are?

My initial impressions are that it grabs your attention and does not let you wander off in thoughts as you listen to music. Maybe a little less open then the Clearaudio, but more grounded and solid as a result.
I definitely like it more than the Balance, which I found to be too "damped" and a bit boring to listen too.

I also felt that changing the arm to the Graham resulted in a more profound change and improvement to the character of the system than the table swap.
dbjain
Lewn: "There is nothing new under the sun. The Bardo looks to be a great turntable. What does it cost?"

According this site, the retail is $7,990.00 USD so each coil is about 2 grands. :)

_____
Dear Lewm, There are 2 different motor designs for the K07D. The initial Kenwood motor that looks similar to the Brinkmann (and the Dual) but with 6 red coils was a patent infringement on the earlier Dual design. This is why Kenwood had to later change the design to the green star shaped coils, which you can see are not asymmetrical. Kenwood and other Japanese manufacturers thought they could get around the patent issue by using a different number of coils, placing them asymmetrical, compensating with electronics, and changing the specs. It was very common practice, and still is today, for manufacturers to purchase competitors products, completely disassemble them, study the design, and attempt to deviate enough in their own design to try and beat any patents. The Dual EDS motor had 8 double field coils in symmetry with a special conductor plate below it. The magnet was made of barium ferrite and had 8 pole symmetrical magnetization. The electronics in this system were so minimal compared to others that it fit on a round circuit board the same diameter as the bottom of the motor (5 inches). The motor was one complete assembly including the electronics. The platter just fit on top of it. In regards to the Brinkmann motor, I can't understand the reason for the odd placement of the coils. One would think there is a dead spot of power in its rotation which is why I believe its concept is to push and brake. The motor seems by design to only pulse power to the rotation as needed. Once the heavy platter is at speed, the energy within its mass is creating the needed centrifugal force for rotation. The tach feedback will sense speed deviation and only micro-pulse the "motor" as necessary to keep the platter steady at speed, like cruise control. Judging by the size of the motor, it's not meant to "direct drive", it is just too small and weak. It's really a "soft drive" system. Weak micro-pulses of "magnetic" power to the platter would certainly not create a large impact on such a heavy platter, thus eliminating any cogging effect. I do like it's simplicity, and it must obviously work, although they don't advertise any specific specs other than it takes 12 seconds for the platter to reach speed. The white pages on the Brinkmann motor suggest they are using a non-standard 22.5 degree angle on the coils with an 8 pole magnet, claiming that the overlapping magnetic fields reduce cogging. Isn't it strange that this Brinkman motor is very similar to the Dual EDS motor, which has 8 coils instead of 4, both use the coils at a 22.5 degree angle, both have hall sensors, and both have 8 pole magnets. I guess the Dual EDS motor patent has long expired. Essentially, one can get a Dual EDS motor, drop it in a plith, and have a Brinkmann for about $200 + tonearm. It might be ugly, but it won't cost 8 grand. Honestly, and with sarcasm aside, if I were looking for a new TT, I'd consider the Bardos, but only after having a demo.

Have a look at Dual EDS motor:
http://dual.pytalhost.eu/701/dual701-04.jpg
http://dual.pytalhost.eu/701/dual701-38.jpg

Brinkmann white pages:
http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/inhalt/en/whitepaper/oasis.pdf

Best Regards
I forgot to mention kudos to Brinkmann for making their own motor in-house and taking the initiative to incorporate this technology into their product.
So how does my Pioneer Exclusive P3 stand. The Pioneer motor is a slotless linear motor using their Stable Hanging Rotor System.

Is this the best DD design of them all ?

http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/P3/P3.html#
Are Brinkman serious that it takes 12 seconds for the platter to reach 33.3 rpm's?

That is insane, much slower than a belt drive table. My P3 takes 0.3 seconds.
So you don't turn it off after initial switch off?

How doees this effect real speed stability - a real positive for most of the higher end DD's.

cheers