VPI Classic Platter

Has anyone compared the classic aluminum platter to the super platter on a Superscoutmaster?
128x128stringreen
I have heard the platter compared with a super platter on an Aries 1 table in the same system as a VPI classic table with aluminum platter. It was no comparison. The Aries 1 and super platter really was much better in air, noisefloor and bass solidity. Cart used on both was a Dynavector XX-2.

We were all led to believe from our results that the aluminum platter was to blame. I just think it is more resonant and prone to vibrations. Not sure why VPI is touting this as a superior platter. Just don't get it. The super platter you have is far better IMHO. I have an Aries 3 table with the acrylic platter and waited too long to purchase a super platter. They are now no longer produced and all the usual suspects have sold out (Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, etc).

If you do switch to the aluminum platter, I know someone who would buy your super platter! ; )
Wow, big bummer! My new Classic TT was just delivered today and now it's gonna suck! I am going to be looking for a super platter equivalent now before I even opened it. Sounds like I should go ahead and sell it sealed and look for a Super Scoutmaster after reading this.
I forgot to add that this was VPI's reason for the aluminum over the acrylic of the standard Scout from a review.
Weisfeld's rationale: "You can machine aluminum much better (+/- .001" in a 29" circumference), it can be damped easily, it is heavy (good), it is temperature and humidity stable, and it adds a sense of life that the acrylic doesn't have without the artificial brightness that acrylic can sometimes bring to the sound."

Cheers,
John