Preamp predicament

First, the system:
Arcam Alpha 9 integrated with add-in phono stage
NHT Super Zero speakers
Yamaha sub SW 120
Technics 1200 MK2 with fluid damper and Cardas arm rewire
AT 150 MLX
Sumiko headshell
Interconnects are whatever they are. I listen to rock mostly with a smattering of jazz and classical.

Second, the problem:
I don't much like the sound, but I can't put my finger on why. There's nothing particularly glaringly wrong with it, but it just doesn't make me want to throw around a bunch of audiophilic adjectives when describing it. And let it be understood that I'm not really an audiophile, I just want to listen to music reproduced in a way that... *takes me there*, for lack of a better description.

So, in looking for possible ways to improve things, I've started to focus on the Arcam's add-in phono stage. I've found next to nothing written about it, which means it must be pretty unremarkable. This has me thinking an upgrade in this department might pay dividends.

Looking at reviews, I've settled (today, for now) on the Cambridge 640p, more or less. My budget limit ~$300-ish. I'd like to buy new from a dealer that will let me return the unit if I find out it's not for me.

Other preamps that have tickled my fancy are ones from Bellari, Pro-Ject, Creek, Graham Slee and a handful of others, all of which have proponents and detractors. The more I read the less sure I seem to be.

Just curious, given my current system, if I can solicit some guidance regarding a preamp that just might uncork it.

Thanks.
ho72
I agree with Ghstudio about the speakers. The Super Zeros are a little on the bright side.

If your budget for whatever is around $300, look for a pair of Spica TC-50 speakers and really enjoy...
Your sub is not going to work well with the Zero,s. The Arcam has plenty of drive for the Zero,s and I have NHT speakers in all my systems. I still own the super Zero,s and I personally disagree that they are bright. The have no bass but when mated with a quality sub and correctly set up sound quite good. They like current which the arcam has. Stick to copper speaker wire and the Arcam which I have also owned could sound unruly with some cables. I had good results with Vanden Hull D103 mkii cables. Another pre amp won,t change your outcome with your current speaker set up. I personally would look for a better sub that is more musical bass or just get another set of speakers that reach a little lower. If you listen to mostly rock music you really don,t need to be trying to get in the lower 20 hz. The zero,s can sound quite good but a quality sub set up and crossedover properly is a must. The Spica TC-50's or even a pair of studio 20 paradigms and quite a few other monitor,s would be cheaper and easier to set up. Cheers.
Having owned an Alpha, I'm fairly certain your not hearing your AT's full potential. The amp. has a honest sound and really enjoyed it. But, the phono is so-so, heard a lot worse though. I also have owned a 640p for a brief time and found it a value for what it was, but not the answer for me. I had to go further up the foodchain. Consider what you have invested in front of the phonostage.
Well, the NHTs pretty much have to stay. If they get replaced, it will have to be with something nearly identical in size.

As far as the sub, I admit its shortcomings freely (it was a gift, so I kept it). For $300, can I do significantly better?
as an owner and big fan of the alpha 9, i concur with the change the speakers and sub posters. i really don't think your preamp is holding you back.