Classical Music LPs recommendations

Hello again,

Im just getting into classical music as i build my music collection.
Can anyone here share some good classical lps.
I prefer something that won't make me fall asleep.

Something with big, dynamic sound like:

the classical music section from Thorens 125 anniv album
Massenet: Ballet Music from Le Cid
Cantate Domino.

Not much into piano. The recording has to be quite good and the music has to be exciting. Re-issue Lps would be fine as the original are quite dear.

would appreciate some inputs. Some friends have recommended:

Ataulfo Argenta / Espana!
John Lanchbery / Herold: La Fille Mal Gardee
Ernest Ansermet / The Royal Ballet/ Gala Performances
Donald Johanos / Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances & Vocalise
Fritz Reiner / Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade

Thanks in advance.
fld
If you can find it in good condition and for a price you are willing to pay, I would recommend the 1978 Sheffield Lab direct-to-disk recording of Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet," Erich Leinsdorf conducting the LA Philharmonic. It is also available, btw, on a Sheffield Lab cd (readily available from Acoustic Sounds and others). The string sound is a bit too bright, but otherwise one of the ultimate examples of well recorded "big dynamic sound." No one will ever fall asleep listening to this recording!

Regards,

-- Al
Look for London Stereo Treasury Lps with an orange label. These tend to be excellent pressings, but are not expensive on the used market (at least for now).
The Firebird Siute/Lt Kije:Mercury
Rapsodies/Stokowski
Solo cello suites/Starker/Mercury
Maybe a copy of Witches' Brew and a Decca/London or two.
The recommendations you say you already received are all good, as are the suggestions offered in the relies above. I definitely second the "Royal Ballet Gala Performances" set. I would also add:

The Power of the Orchestra, recent 45 rpm reissue of RCA VICS 2659 from Analogue Productions (includes Mussorgsky's "Night on Bare Mountain" and "Pictures at an Exhibition" in different orchestrations that one usually hears; an incredibly powerful orchestral recording)

The Reiner Sound, RCA LSC 2183 (particularly in the 45 rpm resissue from Classic Records) (includes a dynamic performance of Ravel's Rapsodie Espagnole)

Vieuxtemp's Violin Concerto No. 5, with Heifitz on RCA LSC 2603 (another excellent 45 rpm reissue from Classic Records)

Prokofiev's Scythian Suite on Mercury