Need some guidance

I want to get into vinyl and I know nothing about this format, I was considering getting a VPI classic.
The question is, is this too much for me to start with, should I start with something less and work my way up? I am not a fan of starting at the bottom, but there is defiantly an educational perspective here too.

What would you recommend?

Anyway, thanks for your advice!!
sc2
I appreciate the responses, these Technics look like a good starter table, with alot of flexibilty. I do wish to grow into better stuff I think.
As far as if I'm sure I want to get into this format, the answer is yes, I am lookin to broaden my exposer to the availible sonics of different formats, all I have listen to is CD's and after reading several dozen posts about how much better vinyl is over cd for sonic ranges and clarity, I AM IN!! I yearn for this stuff, if that makes any sense.

But I want learn as I go also, that helps develope respect for what you have and what you may look forward too!

Thanks everyone!
I agree with Soulbrass. Go to Kabusa.com and check out the Technics SL1200 turntable. Technics has sold over a million turntables. It may not be an audiophile approved brand, but it is audiophile approved sound.
Set your goals high.Starting at the top will eliminate all the wasteful purchases on the bottom end.Add those up and the VPI looks to be a steal. Just go for it you will not be disappointed.
I agree, the Technics is a good started table. Another choice would be a Denon 47F, used but only if you could pick it up. Shipping the latter would destroy it. Yes, the Denon is automatic but I think it gives you more time to enjoy the vinyl sound without all the hassles. Suggest you marry it with the Denon 160 cartridge. Once you own over 100 lps, then think about moving up. In any event you will be able to sell the Denon or Technics for a good price.