Need some guidance

I want to get into vinyl and I know nothing about this format, I was considering getting a VPI classic.
The question is, is this too much for me to start with, should I start with something less and work my way up? I am not a fan of starting at the bottom, but there is defiantly an educational perspective here too.

What would you recommend?

Anyway, thanks for your advice!!
sc2
I'd recommend picking a price point and finding a knowledgeable and reputable dealer that specializes in turntables to work with to get a well matched phono combo (table, arm, cart, phono pre-amp) that will integrate into your existing system well.
As the boys here will concur, getting into vinyl can be a very expensive conquest. Are you sure you are willing to dive headfirst?

Lots of very smart gentlemen here (who have helped me over the years), and will help you from Cartridge Selection, Set-Up, trouble-shooting, the best tools to use, either at cost no object, or within your budget.

The big question is of course "What If?" What if you decide you don't like vinyl, or the associated work involved? In vinyl, many things have a uncanny tendency to lead to another, such as Cleaning, Cleaning Machines, Brushes, Cleaning Fluids, the tools of the trade,Scales-Protractors, etc.

Then come the Cables, Shelves, Phono Stages, Power Supplies, the list goes on, and on.

Me, I'm just a pimple on some of these guy's butts, but I betcha I got well over $10K invested in my analog front end. Figure around 1/2 that to go to the VPI Clasic, a decent Phono Stage, and decent Cartridge.

It may depend on how much money you've already tied up in the rest of the system, to peoperly determine where you should start? The Technics might be a very good first choice..... unless maybe you're using TOTL components, then I would say your system (and ears) deserves more.

As for the VPI Classic, I think you would find (With a really good phono stage, and cartridge) a Table that will keep you very happy for many years. Mark
Get yourself a nice Bang & Olufsen Beogram. Something like the 4000, 4002, 8000, or 8002 (check out a couple threads here on Audiogon on these tables). These are pretty much plug and play tables. A nice phono stage should run you another few hundred (something like Vista Audio should suffice). Buy a few records, some cleaning supplies and for under $1000 you can get started. If you like what you hear, and bear in mind these B&O's are overachievers, then you can think about upgrading.
I appreciate the responses, these Technics look like a good starter table, with alot of flexibilty. I do wish to grow into better stuff I think.
As far as if I'm sure I want to get into this format, the answer is yes, I am lookin to broaden my exposer to the availible sonics of different formats, all I have listen to is CD's and after reading several dozen posts about how much better vinyl is over cd for sonic ranges and clarity, I AM IN!! I yearn for this stuff, if that makes any sense.

But I want learn as I go also, that helps develope respect for what you have and what you may look forward too!

Thanks everyone!
I agree with Soulbrass. Go to Kabusa.com and check out the Technics SL1200 turntable. Technics has sold over a million turntables. It may not be an audiophile approved brand, but it is audiophile approved sound.