Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Dear Henry, As Raul stated I assume that we all want to learn. The first review about the FR-64s that I have read was the German Magazine 'Das Ohr' (the ear) from 1984. Our
member Dertonarm was then a reviewer by this Magazine. Regarding the tonearm geometry already than both reviewers made the remark that the geometry in the user manual was not optimal. They recommended the spindle -pivot distance of 231,5 mm instead of 230 mm in the manual. With 'optimal' geometry they meant the Bearwald. Well I recently ordered by Yip his Mint protractor for my FR-64- SP 10 combo. Yip wrote to me that the geometry in the user manual is Stevenson : 230/ 244,9 ( spindle -pivot/ eff. lenght).
For my combo I wanted Bearwald which according to Yip imply :231,5/ 248,2 mm respectively. I am not sure if you referred to your FR -66 or 64 with your statement that the geometry of your FR tonearm and FR-7 cart is 'perfect' Bearwald but if you referred to your FR-64 this can't be true. I never owned the FR-66 so I have no idea which geometry is assumed in the user manual for this tonearm. But I am familiar with the FR-64 from 1983 till now.
I agree with Raul reg. the integrated headshell/carts combos's but my reasons are more pragmatic than theoretical.

Regards,
Dear Nandric: My take on that subject is based on facts not theory.

Btw, almost all Japanese tonearms alignment by manufacturer advise were made it through Stevenson. I don't want to go inside again to that subject but IMHO Stevenson is the " wrong " way to go against Löfgren A and B.
Stevenson is a " way to think ", Japanese manufacturers took it. My way of thing is different and in no single of my more than 25+ tonearms I use Stevenson alignment. I respect to whom did it or like it.

As I always say: each one of use like differnt kind of distortions and each one of us common sense level is different too and each one of us music sound priorities are different too.
So it is not easy to agree in every audio subjects.

Regards and enjoy the music,

R.
Dear Nikola,
I really don't know if 230mm for the FR-64s gives Stevenson or Baerwald as I only have Dertonarm's template to align them and it doesn't say what geometry is used?
The strange thing is......that Daniel recommends that 231.5mm be used for the FR-64s yet accepts the Fidelity Research specification of 295mm for the FR-66s?
To allow the interchange capability of all my interchangeable headshell/cartridges......I must use the 230mm and 295mm figures.
This then relates to a S to P distance of 223mm for the MA-505s tonearm?
Halcro, why in the hell today you own several tonearms and dozens of HEADSHELLS? why? please let me know.
I own the tonearms because I am 'sick'.....just like Nikola :~}
And I own the dozens of headshells so I can have the dozens of cartridges I own......mounted and ready.
Of all the headshells I own........the majority are Yamamoto Ebony HS-1As or Fidelity Research S3. The remaining metal headshells I own are used for cartridges I almost never play?
I almost never change headshells for my favourite cartridges and I am certainly NOT a 'tester' of cartridge/headshell combinations?
You may not think this to be 'smart'......but that's the way I am?
I do not place the same importance on azimuth adjustment as you do.
Berating me about that is a futile exercise. Let's agree to disagree?
I'm afraid gentlemen that we have officially landed in the age of mediocrity with regard to cartridge build quality, no matter what price.
Note the recent experiences of Fremer with the Lyra diamonds being mounted incorrectly. From my experience you can add to that list Zyx Omega/Airy and Benz, all wildly out and sent back for replacement/retipping.
If we cant rely on cartridges costing US$2k-10k to have diamonds accurately placed in the cantilever then there is no hope for us or our precious records.
I suspect that we need both overhang and asymith adjustability for all cartridges and a good microscope to double check the diamond on any cartridge purchased.