Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Dear Dgob: +++++ " The owner's manual asserts that on a Sony tonearm overhang error of +/- 3mm (!) is not a problem for it's "practical use" " +++++

++++ " It is a thinking shared by Glanz and Nagaoka ... " +++++

I think I did not made clear my take down there:

the cartridge integrated headshell designs had its " euphoria " ( marketing more than any other real meaning. ) at the end of the 70's early 80's.
I was " infected " by that market euphoria and even that I owned the stand alone model I bought it the " new and better " integrated one ( I still own a FR one. ) and for many years I live thinking that the integrated ones was the best road to go.

Why accepted that marketing " hype "? IMHO for the same reasons that some of the manufacturers had when they started with those designs: ignorance, in my case " full ignorance " and maybe in some cartridge manufacturers: part ignorance, part marketing$$$$ and part don't be aware of the critical importance in any cartridge alignment/set up.

Please tell me any one of you when was the first time/year that you be aware of the importance and the why's of: Baerwald, Stevenson, Löfgren, etc., when you was really aware of the importance to match the cartridge to the right tonearm/headshell, when you was really aware of the importance of VTA/SRA/VTF/AZ/Overhang and accuracy in all those parameters, when was the very first time that you read a cartridge/tonearm review where the reviewer made it emphasis on all those critical cartridge/tonearm alignment/set up, when was the very first time that you read from any single cartridge designer about, when you heard for the first time that an audio dealer/distributor talked in that way?????when???????

IMHO today any one of us are truly aware of all those subjects in a way that no one in those old times been and many times not because they as " professionals " don't know about but because they did not gives the importance level it has.

Take that Sony statement: " +,- 3mm. " this means that 6mm on overhang makes no difference but we all know it makes a whole and huge difference for the better or bad.

Why am I still with the FR integrated design?, because sounds good but even that I can't be sticky with a cartridge where I can't improve its performance due to set up cartridge limitations when exist ( in my case I own. ) almost endless cartridge alternatives that outperform my FR, the Glanz, the Yamaha or AT integrated ones.
I always support and supported that the best way to improve any audio system and any audio cartridge signal is. TO LOSE AND ADD THE LESS. A wrong cartridge set up permit that I " lose and add " not the less but the " more ".
My target my main target is to have the lower distortions( any kind. ) in my audio system and the cartridge integrated headshell designs IMHO can't help me to achieve that main target. Remember that to " lose and add the less " accuracy is a critical factor to achieve it. This was and is our Essential target when designed.

Fortunately I have an " adventure audio attitude " that permit me till today learn each single day and that permit me discovery new roads and new alternatives in favor of music.

I understand you about but I already left behind that audio stage of my audio life. Almost everyone pass through the same audio stages trhough our audio life, well I already passed there as I'm sure you will pass it sooner or latter.

In the other side each one of us like different kind of audio system distortions and things are that I like different distortions you like.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Regards, Nandric: In publications contemporary to the TK7E/SU, Signet insists the cart should be paired with a low-mass arm; "We cannot recommend the cartridge being used with any other than---".

From several of the comments above, it seems matching the tonearm to the cart continues to be a relevant concern. An integrated headshell designed for use with a specific tonearm eliminates operator error. Set VTF, a hint of anti skating. Almost plug 'n play, the ultimate "P-mount".

For those of us who like our options, who imagine we're capable of learning from our mistakes, there are numerous carts of the 1/2" mount style to fiddle with. :)

Peace,
Dear Raul,
I always respect your opinions but.......in the case of the FR-7 series cartridges in their fixed headshells.....I beg to differ?
If one uses these cartridges in the FR series tonearms (for which they were certainly designed) and set the spindle to pivot distance to that recommended by Fidelity Research.......you achieve a perfect Baerwald alignment. Now VTA and VTF are easily adjustable via the tonearm and have nothing whatsoever to do with the cartridge/headshell design.
This leaves only azimuth as the 'missing' adjustment.....but I have found that azimuth, when adjusted by the majority of users......is more often wrongly set?
The proof of the pudding is in the 'results'......and it seems churlish to bemoan the fact that a 'glorious' sound could potentially be better?
I strive to eliminate and reduce distortions in the entire audio chain as far as I can.....just as you do......but the fixed headshell of the FR-7 cartridges is not one of the places that I would select to work upon?
Raul,

I appreciate your restatement of some of your concerns. I have already tried to explain that when considering "the importance of VTA/SRA/VTF/AZ/Overhang and accuracy in all those parameters" the Glanz/AC3300 LB combination has no concerns.

I do not believe in argumentation and, as a minimalist, I don't enjoy repeating myself. Repetition rarely convinces and so I will leave it to others to listen and/or read, consider and decide as they will. Was it ever but thus...

As always...
Dear Professor, Thanks for your advice but my experience is
the other way round. For the low complience carts I use my
Reed 2A, 12'' and 27g. eff. mass. For such carts there
is no other option. But ,as Halcro, for all my MM carts I use
the FR-64S with excellent results. This arm is considered
as a 'havy gun' but the eff. mass depends from the used
headshell (+cart weight) as well from the 'place' of the
counterweight relative to the pivot. Now all or at least
the most MM carts are about 6-7 gr. so the counterweight
nearly touches the pivot. For some MM carts
one need to use heavier headshells to compensate. I also use
the Lustre 801 which is much less(?) heavy but the FR-64 is
much better 'tracker'. My quess is that the bearings by
FR-64 are exceptional. However I also own the Sumiko 800
(aka 'Breuer') and can provide the 'optimal conditions'
according to your opinion for both Signet's.

Regards,