Maybe your turntable setup is actually okay . . .

One of the most oft-repeated bits of advice I read on these forums is to "check your turntable setup" . . . to the point of being a blanket cure-all for any manner of dissatisfaction with one's turntable. Add to this that there seems to be no limit to the required obsessive details about various protractors, geometries, mirrors, jigs, etc. that need to be discussed, and their associated belief-systems that need to be adhered to . . .

Well, it actually IS possible that a turntable has a PERFECT setup, but still has performance and tracking problems. So if you're still frustrated after dorking around with your turntable ad infinitum, you might consider the following:

1. Many cartridges (especially MCs) have distortion mechanisms that are completely independent of the tracking performance - that is, distortion can still occur even with absolutely zero mistracking. I find it plainly audible with trackability test records - as modulation is increased, there are sometimes one or two different-sounding distortions that are heard before the unmistakable onset of mistracking. These are frequently caused by dried-out cartridge suspension, or are peculiar to the cartridge design itself. When listening to music, it's REALLY tough to differentiate between cartridge distortion and mistracking.

2. The concept of whether to align to the cartridge body or the cantilever is ridiculous. They SHOULD be one and the same. I verify this under a microscope BEFORE beginning mounting the cartridge . . . I can't imagine doing it any other way. If it isn't, repair or replace the cartridge.

3. The diamond stylus itself should be mounted squarely to the cantilever, and the cantilever should not be twisted. Again, a microscope is necessary to make sure. Again, if it's not right . . . repair or replace the cartridge.

4. The mass/compliance relationship between the tonearm and the cartridge must be correct - around 10-15Hz resonant frequency on both the vertical and the horizontal planes. If this isn't correct, then the stylus simply won't track correctly. Usually the mistake is so the resonant frequency is too low, which causes the stylus-to-record contact force to vary wildly with tiny warps, footfalls, and record eccentricities.

5. Damping troughs, gooey goo, and headshell weights, while helpful for some situations . . . cannot compensate for poor tonearm/cartridge matching. The fundamental mechanism is still the cartridge compliance and the tonearm mass.

6. If the tracking problems increase as the tonearm approaches the inside of the record, this does NOT necessarily mean that the change in tonearm/record geometry has anything at all to do with the tracking problem. The inner grooves simply exert greater forces against the stylus to acheive the same amount of velocity, hence modulation, as the outer grooves. So even if the tracking ability of the cartridge is perfectly constant across the record, it can frequently be sufficient at the outer grooves, but not the inner ones.

7. Many cartridges are simply not very good when it comes to tracking ability. Maybe they have other virtues, and are worth owning in spite of this. I know, I know . . . "my spherical-stylus Ortofon SPU can track the Telarc 1812 Overture disc with zero distortion!! Your setup must be off!!!" That is, quite simply, a load of crap. You don't buy an SET amp for the efficiency, you don't buy a Jaguar E-type for the heater, and some audiophile cartridges should NOT be counted on for their tracking ability. Decide what's important to you before you spend your money.

If it seems like I always blame the cartridge for inexplicable tracking problems . . . well, this isn't too far from the truth. In my experience, quality control for phono cartridges is much worse than for most other parts of the audio chain, regardless of cost or manufacturer reputation (with maybe one exception, but they don't make cartridges anymore). This is simply because so much of the poor workmanship or damage requires a microscope to see, or can't be seen at all, and even if it's perfectly made . . . these things go through many people before they reach your tonearm. When I buy a cartridge (formerly as a dealer, now as a consumer) I make sure that if I'm not happy with it after a visual microscope inspection, setup, and testing, I can send it back for another one, until I'm happy. I've sent back LOTS of cartridges and ticked off lots of distributors to this end. The tradeoff is that I simply can't consider brands where I don't have a good relationship to the dealer, and I probably pay more than many people on Audiogon.

I sent back two Linn Klydes to get the one I have now -- one had the diamond mounted a degree or two off, and the other had an intermittently open channel. I'm not bashing Linn . . . I've set up a good handfull of their cartridges, and overall, I'd consider them above average. But I can't count how many cartridges I've sent back over the years, and what pains me is that some of my Audiogon brethren probably have my rejects on their tonearms - after all, I'm pretty sure that they weren't all simply thrown away.
kirkus
Couldn't have said it better on the B&O's. I lucked out on my Beogram 4500 as it was new in the box and this particular table has a built in RIAA equalizer. No need for a phono stage, just plug it into a line input. Peter at Soundsmith had positive comments on the RIAA equalizer in the table which was initially a concern for me. Paired up with an MMC-2 cartridge (I have two that were also new in the box), this table reproduces sound in a way that you'd hardly think was possible just by looking at it. IMO better than the two SOTA set-ups I owned.
Kirkus, appreciate your response. Here's where I am coming from. I greatly enjoy the practice (and pursuit) of all points of all my hobbies. I'm into photography and mastering my camera, light, exposure, etc., have been paramount. Same for audio-I need to know why, how it works and be able to (either my myself and self education, or hiring someone) to get the absolute max from my gear. My bicycle is tweaked to the hilt (by a pro-wrench as I don' have the time to learn or knowledge to do). It actually bothers me that others may not need to study all and learn as much as they can of their particular passion.
My point is that there would be no way possible for me to sit back and have something I spent money on not blow my mind, and work better than it is supposed to. I think that's a quality of an audioplile and would just doubt any true audiophile would just sit back and listen to something that they felt wasn't as special as it possibly could be. It wasn't fun when I just broke my $2,000 blanced cable - but it will be fun seeing my dealer tomorrow, talking fi and sending it back to the mgf and, while I'm at it, getting the upgrade-now, thats fun.
Just my thoughts, no disrespect intended.
Kirkus, this is a hobby...people's lives don't depend on what I'm doing. My vinyl addiction is ever evolving and a great way to clear my mind from the stresses of life, not to add to it.
I've owned more tables than I can count and liked most while hated very few. Even my BIC fully auto with a stacker was great in some ways. When I feel lazy, I go to cd. Yeh, I do have some nice digital toys that I'm always pushing too.
You analogy to cars is way off in my book. I can't equate my table to buying a new BMW 750 that I expect the most out of (I can't buy a 750). It is more like my 10 year love affair with restoring a Hurst/Olds W-30. Always making it faster, handle better and look better. Hell, I spent several years on the sound system in there too. I did get the horsepower well over 400 in the Hurst and blew by everything on the road until I tore the frame up from too much torque. Same goes for my 15 year old Sota-I'll push it as far as I like but only for fun. SMILE
Born to suffer
High end is a special chapter. You will find everything, from a complete brain free zone to outstanding results. That's the difference to automobiles, there are engineers and lots of real tests, here we have "reviewers" who get paid from the ads, sell the "test units" and are still in the job. It must be frustrating to those, who do a REAL good job.
Well, I think, real good components sounds always good, no matter in which area, even when not 100% calibrated. I never had the result with listening to a average unit or cartridge which changed completely from average to outstanding after proper alignment,
All I can add is to agree that new does not equal good.

A Rega cartridge I bought recently was so very obviously flawed that no microscope was needed to see that the cantilever was misaligned in two axes. There is no possibility that anyone (sober) wearing a QC badge looked at it before it left the factory.