Tonearm for rega Planar 3

Hi all,
Just purchased a Planar 3 here sans tonearm. I would like to install a good arm. Any suggestions other than the rb300/301? Is the 301 a better arm than the 300? Any experiences with the Michell or Moth versions? I will be using a Grado Platinum cartridge. Should I go with a rega cartridge as well?
Thanks
skipper320
I have a Roksan Tabriz Zi, and a Clearaudio Satisfy arm which are both Rega geometry. I like them both better than the Rega (which I once had). They are more user friendly and adjustable (which was my primary issue with the Rega). I have them mounted on Pink Triangle tables and the Rega RB300 arm didn't get along with the the OT tables.

All that said, they are more money, and if I were putting it on a Panar 3 I'd be tempted to stick with a Rega arm.
Some prefer the Rega RB250 to the RB300. Less money too. I agree in that I wouldn't start screwing around with non-Rega arms on a Rega table. You may start getting into issues with the depth of the other arm, or the wiring may bind up for some reason. Not worth the hassle, especially when the Rega arms work so well.
According to Rega, the RB301 is an improved 300, but I don't think they sell it separately from the P3-24.

There's no difference between a Moth and an OEM Rega. Rega supplies their arms to a number of manufacturers and allows them to put their name on it. The Michell Tecnoarm is a different story. It's a modified RB250 that's significantly better than an OEM. Read about it here.

The standard RB300 and RB250 are nice arms that can't be beat for the price. Either one would be an easy drop in without changing the mounting hole. There's a lot to be said for that if you haven't mounted an arm before. I agree with others to stick with Rega. There are lots of tweaks and upgrades that can be done to the 250 and 300. Michell makes an excellent counterweight called the TecnoWeight. It's a significant upgrade that improves the low end. They also makes a VTA adjustment sleeve that works well. I've never seen the VPI version Stanwal mentions.

An Origin Live is unquestionably better than an RB300 or 301, but you'll pay 3 or 4 times as much.

If you own the Grado Platinum, live with it for a while. There are plenty of alternatives when the upgrade itch hits. Focus on getting the table together first.

-Mark
I just replaced the S-shaped RB200 on my Planar 2 with a Moth MK3 (OEM RB300). This arm had the CCM counterweight installed. It is a very nice arm, good sounding and a pleasure to use. I can certainly recommend it.
I always miss something in these threads. Why should one tonearm be better for one turntable than another? It simply doesn't follow logic. Get the best tonearm you can afford, and put it on the deck you have. I suppose that if the turntable in question was a springy type, one too heavy wouldn't be optimum, but how could it matter otherwise? You buy tonearms to suit cartridges, not turntables. A turntable is merely a device intended to quietly spin a record at the exact speed without imparting anything detrimental to the outcome. If it does that, it has done its part.