Anyone own a Pioneer Exclusive P3 ??

wondering if any one has heard one and how competitive it is to today's 10k tables

http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/P3/P3.html#
downunder
No matter how well engineered it was in 1980, caps is caps. After 20 or more years, any electrolytic in any component should be changed out in favor of new. If the thing works without that service, fine, but there is a finite chance that it could work better with new caps. If Pioneer serviced it prior to or after sale, then they likely changed any cap that displayed either leakage of DC voltage or leakage of electrolyte (which comes later after DC leakage has already started to occur and can damage physically nearby elements of the circuit). My SP10 Mk3 is NOS, yet Bill Thalmann tells me there were physically leaky electrolytics here and there, after 27 odd years since manufacture. He opined that it was a good thing I did not try to run the table prior to having him service it.
Hi Sonofjim.

Differences between the P3 and P10. Control, continousness and excecution in reporducing music. The P3 has the best bass control that I have heard from a table, in that it seems to be able to start and stop notes so fast it appears continous in doing it. This frees up musical detail and freedom overhang in the mid range. top to bottom coherence is uncanny.

The P10 has that simlar family sound, but just a bit looser all round. Still a really nice table.

TW AC-3. Bigger/looser bass v the DD's. has a larger soundstage both wide and deep v the P3. In direct comparison can sound a little soft or notes not as precise. background is a little dark v the P3. OTOH The AC-3 is more forgiving and does add some nice bass weight and spread on brighter/tighter recordings which does come in handy with some of my modern/rock alternative LP's.

Which one do I play more - I would probably say the table that has the Ortofon A90 on it.

If I had a gun to my head to choose only one table, it would be the P3. having all of the tables is great fun thou.

cheers
Downunder,
Thanks for the comparison. That's what I would have expected to hear. So, in a way your thread has come full circle and you've answered the initial question yourself.
Based on my experience, I agree. That's why I love my sp-10s and have an interest in all top DDs. Once they're properly isolated they seem to all behave quite similarly. That continousness and bass slam are due to the fact that there are no transients complex enough to slow these things down. In fact, if you forgot to dry brush the LP before start up go ahead and do it while playing. The table still won't back down. Legend has it that the mk3 held speed with a man standing on the platter.
Enjoy the P3. It's a gem. Maybe one day I'll end up with one(or the DP 100, PS-X9, or L-D07). Too many tables, too little space.
Just got mine today and it sounds fabulous so far with a Technic EPC 205mk3 i put on, quite a bit better than my other DD, a slate SP10mk2 and a few idlers i have. Initial impression is one of great bass, impressicve oundstage size , very dynamic and yet refined. Very happy so far.

Now some eye candy..

P3 front

P3 and Micro