Can we go back to 33's please?

Yes, I know we have a million records cut at 33.3, but now, I guess in an attempt to have a "super premium" image, some lables are cutting reissues at 45 rpm. I know Levinson did it way back - I have those and they sound great. The only thing is, I have many 33s that also sound great. I really don't feel like hassling with cleaning and storing 2 discs for each album and getting up every 10 minutes to change sides. I really think equal or at least almost equal quality can be achieved on 33. Listen to anything on Stockfisch, Opus3, Tacet, Naim. They do a great job with it. Not to mention many older RCA Red Seals and such. Is there anyone here who believes that 45 has the magic 33 lacks - all things equal?

Maybe it's my system - Linn, Rega RB700, Argo, is not capable of ferreting out the nuances of some other tables? Perhaps you folks with Caliburns believe 45s are the way to go? If not - tell the record companies and they might listen. I don't want to get up every 10 minutes. Sorry.
chayro
Maybe the people involved in the licensing, remastering etc. release popular LPs cut at 45rpm because they believe that provides the best sound available today.

They seem to genuinely care about the product, in other words they are as nerdy about this hobby as the rest of us!

Besides, almost every 45rpm re-issue I've bought seems to be available at 33 1/3.

I agree it's a lot of cleaning, takes up more storage space and you have to get up more often. But man it does sound good! I haven't bothered to compare the two different speeds, but I believe others have.

I've got a Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable, SME 309 arm, Benz Ruby 3, Herron VTPH-2 phono stage. The records are meticulously cleaned with a Clearaudio Smart Matrix. My speakers are 22 year old Klipsch.

So I don't have the best system available, especially regarding speakers, but I can sure appreciate the quality of these releases.
The 45 have more space for the grooves and in Theory more Dynamic (depends on the Mastering).

But lost information (high frequency, Color) from old Originals (LSC etc.) can't be brought back.
I did a comparison with Walton Facade and the CR-45 Reissue.
The Original is in this area much better, but when you don't know it, the 45 Reissue is great. And much cheaper.
****The original is in this area much better, but when you don't know it, the 45 Reissue is great And much cheaper.****
I don't mind so much getting up to change a record, my record player is near my chair. However I wouldn't play 45 rpm all day though.

You may notice the beginning of a well recorded 33 rpm Lp sounds its best.
As the cartridge traverses towards the centre ,the music sounds slightly differant, not consistent from start to finish.

The birth of 45 rpm in 1948 by RCA Victor, calculus was used to show that the optimum use of a record of constant rotational speed occures when the innermost record diameter is half the outermost record diameter.
Peter Copeland, British Library Sound Archives.

Basically groove velocity is important.

Much has been written.
Anyway at the moment I'm enjoying the MusicMatters and Analogue Production 45 rpm Blue Note reissues.
The 45s do sound really good, but you've got to weigh both the PITA factor and the extra cost over a 33. I only buy them if its a particular favorite record of which I want the absolute best available pressing. Otherwise I stick with 33s. Out of several hundred albums I think I have about five of these things.

There are a lot of people who will buy - for example - all of the Blue Note reissues just to collect them all. But if you don't like that particular record why bother?