Platter Upgrade for Garrard 301

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my analog system to the next level up from my VPI scout. I've heard alot of talk about great performance from a Garrard 301 coupled with a upgraded plinth that I could buy from various sources, such as Oswald Mill Audio or Shindo, among others. However, I rarely hear about other upgrades for the Garrard. Isn't the platter a key component that should be a contender for an upgrade? I know Shindo makes such a platter, but they seem to be ultra expensive. There must be a less expensive alternative? Also, what other upgrades should I consider to a Garrard? Thanks, Mark
mcmprov
Logenn, I have to ask, but you don't really have to answer - which plinth did you ultimately buy, the one from Porter or the one from Dobbins? You cleverly omitted to mention that, and I can understand why you might not want to offend either party or appear to boost one vs the other. I quite agree that they are both worthy in all ways.

My favorite name for a law firm, their sign seen by me personally, in London: Reason and Doolittle.
Whisky...I like the idea of that MUCH better than a law firm. The down side is, working with me, I think Albert would drink all the profits. Hi Albert.

Since the original topic of this thread dealt with 301 platters, I will add my two cents. I have been experimenting with different 301/401 platters for a couple of years now. Let me assure you that after everything else in the Garrard is optimized, the platter can and will make a major difference. Not always for the better but the latest platter adds upper end air and detail, and not in a small quanity.
The Garrard projects are certainly about knowledge and compatibility. The matching plinth/ platter/ arm/ cartridge is a trial/error matter to say the least and finding the winning match can be very expensive, sharing experiences with each other is a valuable shortcut.
Logenn: you did not mention how your Whisky plinth / Garrard 301/ Triplanar/ Dynavector (model?) sounds compare to your Walker / Jade.
Thanks for your input.
Jean.
Mark.Your conjecture that the platter is 'important' I will
modify in 'the most important part' of an TT. My advice is
read first Pierre Lurne (Googel:Pierre Lurne;analog thoughts,e.a). It is also the most difficult part to design and manufacture. I personaly never 'mess'
with 'upgrades' (see my 'upgrades' by Linn-LP-12).
To me the TT as Garrard,Thorens 124.etc are outdated TT
and more the objects of 'nostalgia' than something else.
The 'paradox' of updates:there is no 'final one' I.e. one
is never satisfied.

Cheers

I am anxious to hear Veterone's platter for the 301 as he really is in tune with the positive energy of this iconic turntable and how supremely musical it is.

I have never compared the plinths directly, with or without whisky, that is why I didn't offer an opinion, but it sounds like it would be a fun event.

As for the Walker, it is a great turntable, but for me it was time to move on to other experiences. I am finalizing the installation of a Fidelity Research FR 66S on a Technics Sp 10 mk III and Koetsu Coralstone.