Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store

I am currently pretty satisfied with my system the way it is right now. I am not in the market for any new purchases right now, mainly because I don't have the discretionary income to make big changes. However, sometimes I get the urge to want to go into a hifi store just to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now.

Is it cool to go into a store just to look around, knowing you don't have the money or immediate need for an item?
128x128mitch4t
I've been in Lyric twice, both times when the shop was near empty on CHristmas Eve, and the person there, who appeared to be a manager or owner, was very accommodating and courteous. HE greeted me immediately, asked if he could help me, and I told him I was visiting from out of town and mostly just looking but had general interest in good audio gear. He proceeded to demonstrate his top of teh line big rigs in the back rooms. Very nice! I appreciated it and always try to go back when in NYC.

I've also been to Sound By SInger in NYC twice while visiting under similar circumstances and had more mixed results there. I think they closed up shop shortly after that for whatever reason.
Deja Vu Audio outside DC is very accommodating and has great equipment and knowledgable staff.
JWM wrote:

>>If people don't want to bother an audio salesman with no intentions of buying they can go to an audio show instead. There are so many now that one can go and hear without buying anything and not feel guilty. The shows have way more equipment and so many people under one roof that you can have a great time.

IMO, audio shows are great for looking but usually not so great for listening or evaluating audio gear.

>>Are you kidding? Audiogon allows 40-50% off of retail. Brick and Mortar if your lucky 10-20%. These people are not going to buy there no matter how nice the salesperson talks.

Is it really fair to compare a B&M store to Audiogon? Audiogon provides a space to sell (mostly) used gear. Most B&Ms forcus on new gear, although some sell or specialize in used gear. I think that you will typically find that the price for almost any piece of used gear sold at a B&M would be within spitting distance of the Audiogon price for the same gear. The market determines the value (price), not the seller.
When I was a teenager, and that was quite some time ago, I used to go into an audio store after school and hang out with the salesman and listen to gear. They knew they weren't going to make big bucks off of me, but not much was going on, and they were kind and generous and helped me develop into this hobby. Ultimately I did buy a Nakamichi 582 cassette deck from them that thousand dollars, which was a lot of money back then.
Unfortunately you can find anything new you want on audiogon as well for prices way below brick and mortar. Why is this so because audiophiles are always buying and selling.