Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store

I am currently pretty satisfied with my system the way it is right now. I am not in the market for any new purchases right now, mainly because I don't have the discretionary income to make big changes. However, sometimes I get the urge to want to go into a hifi store just to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now.

Is it cool to go into a store just to look around, knowing you don't have the money or immediate need for an item?
128x128mitch4t
Lowrider 57,
I wrote mt post before I saw your response. I aplogize to you for being abrasive, but in you original post, you did not explain yourself as completely, and it sounded as if you were just saying that it was acceptable to lead salespeople on with false promises of a possible future purchase.
In response to you and Onhwy61, I am not burned out on selling, and I actually get a great deal of satisfaction from it most of the time. Yes Onhwy61, I do value my time, as I imagine that you do yours.
And it is true that I frequently strike up a relationship with a casual browser who later becomes a valued customer.
Selling expensive luxury goods is not like selling groceries, it doesn't always happen the first, second or third time.
All that I am saying is that because of the position I am in every day, I have more respect for the time of others in the same position. Shoppers who are insensitive are not in the majority.
Roxy, thanks for the response. And as I read back my 1st post, I see that I should have elaborated. My thinking is that at some point, one of us will be making an upgrade and it requires some exploring in these high-priced candy stores.

I have no doubt that you often see customers that have no intention of buying from you; and then there's the person who wants a demo from you so he can go buy the item online.
It's probably obvious to your staff who the tourists are and that really is wasting your time. And I see how the online issue must be an extra burden on the sales staff; who's to know if this guy will come back.

I'm glad we have cleared up this misunderstanding.
I look at it a little differently. Example - I love nice watches. I dont buy one every time I walk in to Westime or Tourneau. But, as I have bought most my watches at Tourneau I am qute allowed to walk in and look at what ever I want (same with my hifi dealer - I earned that as I try to only buy from him). When I walk into a new (watch)store, I do so on Sundays in the AM when they are empty and the salesman usually gets a KICK out of talking watches with an educated customer, even though he aint buying (walked out with 4 magazines for the plane riide). I go into the hifi stores in the city all the time. I just let them know I'm looking at the goodies and no need to tie up a salesman. They appreciate it and let me stay until the capuccinno machine is empty.
One of the things I love about our wonderful hobby is a visit to a terrific audio shop for a few hours of just "hanging out." I've spent many a fun filled afternoon at such places as Sound By Singer, Lyric HiFi, Stereo Exchange, Altair Audio, Audio Connection, CSA Audio, Innovation Audio, Adirondack Audio-Video, and many other high end retailers over my thirty years as "a music loving audiophile." I have always been totally "up front and honest" with the sales staff ..... sometimes I was there to plan a purchase, and other times I was just there to enjoy music played on systems that I could only dream about actually owning. For me, this is an important part of our hobby and I don't recall ever misleading a salesperson or being treated rudely by one. And over the years, I have many times referred somebody to one of these fine shops and many major purchases have been made because of my recommendations.

If we are to allow our high end audio passions to develop and to allow the high end industry to continue to grow, we need to constantly try to bring new people under our wings and encourage them to listen to quality components and systems. The best way to do these, besides inviting "audio newcomers" into our homes, is to encourage them to visit high end stores to "hang out and listen." Perhaps more systems will be sold and more music loving audiophiles will be developed. For me, it all started in 1973 with a Panasonic all-in-one receiver/8-track player-recorder/turntable/speakers combination ....... After many, many hours in all those great stereo stores, I eventually worked my way up the equipment chain, having spent many thousands of dollars on a lot of different gear.

I am incredibly happy with my current system and I love listening to music. I owe it all to all those wonderful sales people at all the great stereo stores for the chance to "listen and hang out."
I used to make a point whenever visiting a new city, either in the US or abroad, to seek out and visit the local audio shops. It do much anymore, mainly because I am quite happy with my system. One would think that after all these years of buying and selling and trading I would finally find audio nirvana. Well I'm getting pretty darn close.