Walking Into A Brick & Mortar High End Audio Store

I am currently pretty satisfied with my system the way it is right now. I am not in the market for any new purchases right now, mainly because I don't have the discretionary income to make big changes. However, sometimes I get the urge to want to go into a hifi store just to look. Eventually I will upgrade my speakers, cd player, preamp, a new dac for sure and may give class D amps a shot...but not right now.

Is it cool to go into a store just to look around, knowing you don't have the money or immediate need for an item?
128x128mitch4t
I look at it a little differently. Example - I love nice watches. I dont buy one every time I walk in to Westime or Tourneau. But, as I have bought most my watches at Tourneau I am qute allowed to walk in and look at what ever I want (same with my hifi dealer - I earned that as I try to only buy from him). When I walk into a new (watch)store, I do so on Sundays in the AM when they are empty and the salesman usually gets a KICK out of talking watches with an educated customer, even though he aint buying (walked out with 4 magazines for the plane riide). I go into the hifi stores in the city all the time. I just let them know I'm looking at the goodies and no need to tie up a salesman. They appreciate it and let me stay until the capuccinno machine is empty.
One of the things I love about our wonderful hobby is a visit to a terrific audio shop for a few hours of just "hanging out." I've spent many a fun filled afternoon at such places as Sound By Singer, Lyric HiFi, Stereo Exchange, Altair Audio, Audio Connection, CSA Audio, Innovation Audio, Adirondack Audio-Video, and many other high end retailers over my thirty years as "a music loving audiophile." I have always been totally "up front and honest" with the sales staff ..... sometimes I was there to plan a purchase, and other times I was just there to enjoy music played on systems that I could only dream about actually owning. For me, this is an important part of our hobby and I don't recall ever misleading a salesperson or being treated rudely by one. And over the years, I have many times referred somebody to one of these fine shops and many major purchases have been made because of my recommendations.

If we are to allow our high end audio passions to develop and to allow the high end industry to continue to grow, we need to constantly try to bring new people under our wings and encourage them to listen to quality components and systems. The best way to do these, besides inviting "audio newcomers" into our homes, is to encourage them to visit high end stores to "hang out and listen." Perhaps more systems will be sold and more music loving audiophiles will be developed. For me, it all started in 1973 with a Panasonic all-in-one receiver/8-track player-recorder/turntable/speakers combination ....... After many, many hours in all those great stereo stores, I eventually worked my way up the equipment chain, having spent many thousands of dollars on a lot of different gear.

I am incredibly happy with my current system and I love listening to music. I owe it all to all those wonderful sales people at all the great stereo stores for the chance to "listen and hang out."
I used to make a point whenever visiting a new city, either in the US or abroad, to seek out and visit the local audio shops. It do much anymore, mainly because I am quite happy with my system. One would think that after all these years of buying and selling and trading I would finally find audio nirvana. Well I'm getting pretty darn close.
Roxy54 wrote "The problem is that people like yourself are wasting the valuable time of the commissioned sales associate who is there trying to make a living. While he is doing a fruitless demo, or just shooting the breeze with you, he is missing his next turn to wait on a client who may actually want to buy something from him/her."

Wow! Do you purchase a book every time you walk into a Barnes & Noble? I don't want to flame you for what I assume is a defense of brick and mortar stores, but I don't share your attitude about casual visitors.

I can't speak for any other dealer, but I enjoy having people come by my little store and listening to gear. You never know when someone will decide to buy a piece of gear, and I get a lot of referrals from guys who haven't bought anything but have mentioned a piece of gear I carry to a friend.

There might be a few guys who drop by on a regular basis and aren't regular customers, but many of these guys have become audio friends. Many have shared some wonderful music I hadn't heard before or just come by to enjoy the sound. I am flattered that guys would take the time to visit my showroom, and visitors have always been respectful and well behaved. If I am busy with another customer I will politely excuse myself and return when I am finished.

But that's just my opinion.
Roxy54 with your attitude its doubtful sales is a good career path for you. Grow up son this is part of the business. I agree anyone just looking needs to be up front about that. There are ways to treat these folks without alienating them from a possible future sale, or from them recommending YOU as a resource.