VPI RCM Vacuum Wand Velvet Strips

Ok Folks, I know VPI doesn't sell these but places like Disc Doctor does. Still not very cost inexpensive if you ask me. And I'm in disagreement with mintlp's Yip's method of replacment, by Gluing on any such strips. Problem is, how do you then get these off when they are shot?

From what I understand, some manufacturer, which I thought it was 3M, who makes this material, but still web-searching has prooved fruitless. I would imagine this same similar material is also used on Mo-FI/Disc Doctor Brush Pads.

Does anyone know of a better, less expensive source for this material? I'm thinking at the right source, $15-$20 worth of this material should be enough to virtually supply everybody on Agon who has a VPI RCM! Mark
markd51
I use the Disc Doctor strips currently and like them better than VPI's original strips but do wish they were less expensive. The old strips come off more easily when wet and the Goo Gone suggested works well on residual adhesive. The new strips stick much better if you pre-heat the stripped wand with a blow drier first.
I was actually excited when I saw that Mint LP had strips for $1.00. Markd51, why do you disagree with the glue on method? Yip seems to beleive that it is supperior to the adhesive backed strips. I was really thinking this may be the next thing I try.
I guess it all boils down to how much your time is worth to you. From a turn key solution, a replacement tube is pretty unfussy at $25. At today's cost of new vinyl, it doesn't seem too high to me. But I see your POV from a green inititative. Sometimes when I examine an old tube, I see tiny cracks in the plastic and figure it's best to be safe and just replace the tube.
I have never actually experimented with different strips, but I'm very interested in the solutions you all mention.

One thing to keep in mind is that you do not want the replacement strips to be absorbing the fluid on the record as it passes over the LP. In worst case scenarios this will result in the wand re-wetting the LP.

It seemed to me last I looked (though I need to look again) that the VPI strips are thinner than the Mobile Fidelity replacement pads (for their brushes). The Mofi replacement pads are made to absorb the fluid. Personally, I don't want that same stuff on my wand. If I could find the same thickness/material VPI uses, I'd buy a lifetime supply.
Actually, the Disc Doctor stips are thicker than VPI's and I like them. I still think I'll order some from Mint to check them out just on the basis of cost. I have no idea why anyone would spend $25 on a new tube. Unless it's been stepped on or something this should rarely be necessary. Anyone know where to get the Pattex glue that Yip recommends to apply his $1 strips?
I use 3M 467MP transfer adhesive (tapecase.com) and velvet strips from M&J trimming. Spent a little time cutting and assembling but now have strips for about fifteen cents each. The old stip usually peels off clean and the new one just sticks on. My RCM is DIY with a pvc vacuum tube.