MC phono stage without transformer?

A newbie question:

I read a lot of 'reservation' about using an external MC step up transformer to increase the gain of an MM phono stage. But as I searched around for MC phono stages, I noticed that a lot of these actually have internal step-up transformers, some of these transformers are exactly the same as what some people used to make their external step-up.

So if transformer is no good, I should really be looking for an MC phono without the tranformer? Do these exist though?
viper_z
I would like to bring up a couple of related side issues for comment . . .

First, I think that a division must be made between the use of external vs. internal transformers. Obviously, the proper loading of the transformer secondary is extremely critical, and if it is an external unit . . . than I can't see how the real-world loading can be anything but indeterminate. It also seems that external units pretty much all have very high ratios . . . for i.e. 30dB gain. This makes for an inherently compromised transformer design, and additionally puts the entire chain in a sub-optimum gain structure. An interesting comparason would be to an active MC head amp . . . an arrangement that I have found quite unsatisfactory with the few that I've used and measured.

Second, a transformer simply cannot offer anywhere near the level of flexibility in cartridge loading that an active design can . . . there are certainly a great many cartridges (including all MM types of course) for which a transformer is simply unsuitable. I must say that I am greatly impressed with the thoroughness that Raul has approached this subject, and we are quite fortunate that he freely shares it on this forum.

I'm currently in the evaluation stage of a new phono preamp design, and the main topological choice was between a direct bipolar input with four MPS-A18s in parallel, and using a low-ratio Jensen JT-346 with a 990 opamp. I chose to use the transformer/990 because it was about 5dB quieter (5 ohm source), had somewhat greater headroom, and inherently blocks the input bias current - in addition to the usual transformer strengths of ground loop isolation and RFI rejection. That's not to say that the direct bipolar approach didn't have its strengths . . . bandwidth and LF linearity were of course among them. And I did have to make a decision to make the unit incompatible with many cartridges in order to use the transformer topology.

In the end, there are pitfalls with both approaches, and I'm confident that my success or failure with this will be overwhelmingly dependent on my ability to carefully optimize all the circuit and construction parameters . . . and very little to do with my "reactive component dogma".
I would posit that the Atma-sphere MP1, Raul's preamp, the Vacuum State RTP3D, and the Dolshi are all relative bargains in this era of $15,000 linestages. Don't know about the Dolshi, but the first 3 offer balanced, dual-differential circuitry (which when properly implemented inherently reduces noise) and plenty of phono gain, plus a state of the art linestage, for around $10,000. I know that's a prohibitive cost for some, but in the overall scheme of things, it's very fair. I am crazy for my MP1, but I'd love to hear the other contenders too.
Dear Ron: As I posted I made a little of research on your audio items just to " imagine " what are you hearing but for what you told here your music/sound reproduction is far from what I can " imagine ", good.

+++++ " If I see how a lot or maybe the majority of music is record today, it makes me wondering how the high-end community is fixed so much on the terms of neutrality and correctnes when the software itself is not neutral or correct to the original sound. " +++++

This is absolutely right and that's one of the reason that we have to be on the neutral/natural side of the music/sound reproduction trying to lower at minimum the colorations/distortions/noises on our systems.

+++++ " But I've heard a lot of stuff that was sure technologically superior but it made "sound" instead of music. " +++++

I agree with you here too, but what if you develop/create an audio system that not only measure good ( accurate not analitycal. ) but that give you the feeling/emotion of the music? would you be happy?, well this is one of my quest in my audio system music/sound reproduction targets.

Ron, I'm sure that you are enjoying your system's performance and maybe what I posted could help you to think and try to improve it.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Kirk: Good luck and success with your design.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.