ZeroDust still the best?

I own the ZeroDust stylus cleaner but wonder if any negative effects were known about it.

The old posts still seem to like it.

Is this cleaner undisputed? What is better?

thanks

Phil
128x128philjolet
Stringreen,

You're right. The ME is just a higher tech version of Linn's sandpaper. The concept is the same, abrasion, and they both work.

The ME's microfibers are more flexible than sandpaper, so they reach all stylus surfaces better. That makes the ME better for regular daily maintenance.

OTOH, I've received cartridges for inspection that the owner's claimed were "worn out", even though they were 2-3 years old or less. Of course they weren't, they just had gunked up styli. The ME rehabilitated most of them, but one or two seriously neglected cases needed something a little stronger. I tried a sliver of ultra fine grit sandpaper used for auto paint work polishing and that did the trick.

So, ME + brush or ZD for non-neglected styli, super fine sandpaper + brush or ZD for really gunked up ones. I've never seen a stylus that one of these couldn't bring back to life.
The potential problem using the Zerodust after the ME is the microscopic abrasive particles from the ME are captured in the Zerodust. Using the Zerodust again and again only increases the chances of those particles returning to the stylus and damaging your vinyl.

Alternatively, brushing the stylus after an ME treatment causes the particles to fall harmlessly on the plinth and eliminating the chance of stylus contamination.

Zerodust RIP
Stylus gunk can embed in ME fibers and Zerodust gel, and microscopic ME fibers can embed in a camel hair brush. I suspect that whatever touches the stylus can transfer stuff from it or to it.

I use all three along with liquid RRL stylus cleaner and, most frequently, a magnifier. I use a 20X loupe mounted on a little stand so it is exactly at stylus height when the arm is in its rest. This makes it simple to check stylus condition after each side, assuming you put your arm in its rest when changing records. I found the stand mounted magnifier on ebay (no affiliation). Look under something like "20X TRIPLET Lens JEWELRY LOUPE On a STAND". One of the best TT tools I have.

Tim
Given the "tacky" character of the ZD surface, particles are much more likely to be captured there than in any brush.

Bet on that.

Zerodust RIP