How many People own Working Reel to Reel Decks?

I just bought a very nice condition Revox A-77 on Ebay and I have to say I love the sound of tape. I wish I had done this years ago when it made more sense. I see that good quality reel to reel decks are getting snapped up on Ebay and I am wondering who is buying them and what they plan on listening to (prerecorded music or tapes they make). How many people here on audiogon actually own a reel to reel that works and they use it regularly? Thanks.
Mark
mepearson
I have 2 Crown decks...CX824 and a CX844 both are 4 track. The 844 is a 4 channel. The Crown's have pull out PCB's so I had the caps replaced using Nichicon's. They both sound great and are beautiful examples of American made tape machines.
I recently started adding Ampex's to my collection...I have a 440C with the servo motor and B electronics. This deck is currently being restored...should sound great when I get it. I also have a 350-4 and a 354 with 2 MX-10 mixers. The 350 is a real beauty and will be updated soon. The 354 has the blue CB and I am currently restoring that.
Talk about being hooked on reel to reels but there is nothing like the sound and they look great.
akai gx77 from 1983. works well. looking into the tape project to update the techniques 1700 i also have. bottlehead preamp and upgrades nice but expensive and they are also making 10" NEW prerecorded 2 track 15ips tapes that played back on this setup. look at CES reviews and the tape project website. yes, reel to reel in 2008 along with LP. digital is dead for 2 channel stereo.
I have 2 technics rs1500 (good machine for mods), 2 revox a77, one teac a3340s, one pioneer rt 1011L and a few smaller 7 inches reel player,and collecting more?,for what i own, i love the revox a77 alot, they are easy to fix, schematic is available on the internet and once it's completely restored, it's a one heck of a machine in term of reliability and sound quality,love the technics for its capable of playing 15ips speed and rigid transport.It's good to see more and more people starting to get into R2R machine,IMHO these machine if perfectly calibrated with good and clean tape heads, they will smoke all the CD recorder out there and aslo expensive 3 head cassette deck ( cassette dont have the dynamic range that R2R offers)a down side is that it's hard to get prerecorded tapes, also blank tapes,and it's expensive.My 2cents.
Tim
Well, I use a Teac 3300s (in my main system), a Sony TC-755 and a Revox B-77 in secondary systems. Been using reel to reel since about 1975. My Revox is half track, so I use it primarly for live recording. The Teac (my absoulte favorite machine) is so quite that noise reduction of any type is unecessary. Truthfully, I have had Akai, Sony, Teac, Revox, Phillips, Ampex and Pioneer reel to reels over the years. They are all very well made, and built to last. I favor the Teac because of the smoothness of the transport, and the overall solidity of the machine. It is also very quite. I like the Sony because you'll never wear out the Ferite heads. (Akai glass heads a little noisy for me) The Revox is nice, but I hate the charcoal grey plastic. Any how, enjoy. Oh, Guitar Center is a great source for open reel tape. You have to have them order it.
Norman
I still use reel decks. These inlcude; Studer 807, two Otari MTR-10's, Otari MTR-15; Tascam 42, Tascam 52, Magnecord 1022, Teac X-1000RBL.