a record cleaning device and proper method

Hi,
right now all I have to clean my record collection that is coming out of long storage is the super record wash from Record Research labs a nice brush I bought from the distributor and I dry them with a clean cloth . This is not really right and I tried it this way to see if I could get a way with not having to buy a machine . I have a lot of really nice classical albums and I wont to clean them properly so a machine is ,I guess absolutely necessary ? If so which one, used ,should I buy ? and do I need an additional type of fluid to go along with the supper wash ? I know I need to vacum the fluid off .
I'm sorry if this question has come up many times before .

Thank you all !
Alex
alexthe
If you expect to clean a lot of vinyl, you'll be glad if you have an RCM. In addition to your existing collection, there are lots of great buys on used LP's . . . so keep this in mind as rationale for the investment.

I brought out my old vinyl, and purchased a new 'table a few years ago after ~15 years of listening almost exclusively to CD's. Since I'm a real tightwad, I first tried to clean them by hand (I used an old broken turntable as a platform for my washing) . . . long story short, once I found I would get back into vinyl in a big way, and experienced what a pain in the butt manual cleaning is, I bought a RCM. I also found that the RCM did a much better job than I was doing by hand (though I confess, my hand wash method was probably not state of the art.

Your choice of RCM should depend more on how many LPs you expect to be cleaning. I initially bought a Nitty Gritty 1.1 which required manual rotation of the disk. It cleaned nicely, but when I started buying arm loads of LPs at my local used record shop I grew tired of the effort involved. I traded the NG in for a VPI 16.5 which is a pretty efficient machine and does an excellent job of cleaning. The NG machines can be found new and used for anywhere from $150 - $350 depending on the model. The VPI can be found used for $350 or so in excellent condition.

As for cleaning fluid, I make my own (remember, I'm a tightwad). Here's a link to the TNT Record Cleaning Site that has fluid recipes and other tips.

Search the archives and you'll find many opinions on best Fluids, and RCM's
>>remember, I'm a tightwad<<

Actually you're quite practical, not a tightwad.

Record cleaning fluids are 99% water and in no way, shape, or form is a $40/quart price justified. Unless of course you're into clocks, pebbles, and teleportation. Then it makes sense.

It is not rocket science although the vendors and even some posters here would have you believe so.

A RCM is quick and convenient but manual cleaning wins hands down all day long.
I know how to steam vegetables but please explain to us ,how steam clean on records,works.
Thanks
George