New TT ideas please

I'm doing a major upgrade to my system with the new electronics likely to be Audio Research REF3/110/PH7 (though may be PH5 in the interim)/Verity Parsifals. My Roksan Radius 5 is going to find a loving home, but I need some ideas of what to look at. Here are a few that appeal to me visually and reputationally, and a few that I've heard (all similar $$ roughly, budget seems to be about $6-$7.5k for table and arm):

1. Clearaudio Ambient (looks simple to setup and use), unify arm
2. Rega P9 with the 1000 arm (again, simple setup)
3. Michell Gyrodec or Orb (with the acrylic platform and cover)
4. Transrotor Atlantis with Origin Live tonearm
5. Redpoint turntable (a long shot) - looking for opinions

Excluding VPI, what else should I consider? I would like a company with a long standing history (Redpoint is questionable on this front), excellent build quality, not too finicky, sounds lively, involving, quiet background, controlled and detailed. I don't mind a touch forward, as I think the rest of the system could use a slightly forward source. Simplicity is preferred - I don't want to have to adjust things too often or it won't be used.

I have a fascination with Koetsu cartridges, so I want a TT that would suit an Urushi / Rosewood Signature cartridge. I also think transrotor is interesting, but their web site confuses me (only 3 models? I thought they had many more).

I will try my very best to hear them so what I'm asking is your best ideas and a little brain storming. I will only buy what sounds best to me and works with my system - no question about that.
hatari
Doug: thanks for taking the time for your response. I purposely left beuty and musicality as features there - knowing that only I can determine those :) But you certainly did address the rest. What about platter? Do you have a view as to whether a solid acrylic platter (a la Clearaudio Master Solution) or a metal/hybrid platter affects my desired outcome? Also, the belt thing is always interesting as so many pretty "high end" TTs have belts (again, the Clearaudio Master Solution - rumoured to be quite a lively table, BTW).

So your view would be that a Clearaudio Master Reference (same price as these names generally) would lose energy/liveliness and muddy transients relative to those brands mentioned. Are there European brands that fit that bill (ie Transrotor Fat Bob?). From a design perspective (and it matters) Redpoint is the only one that works for me from this bunch. We do, oddly, have a local Redpoint dealer.

Thanks
I respect Doug Deacon's knowledge and contributions to these threads.

However, it is unfair to paint belt drive and/or suspended turntables with such a wide brush.

There are belt driven suspended turntables that will stand toe to toe and even outperform the brands on his list based on the parameters he's chosen. Some of them even cost less.

Disclaimer: retailer
One thing I've learned in my DC motor travails is that there is a correct torque for a given platter mass.

When I experimented with higher torque motors - everyone in the multiple evaluation sessions I conducted agreed with me that the sound took on a harsh edge.

From this (and other experiments) I concluded - puny, but not too puny.

Now, as I've written both on this forum as well as my Motor FAQs page, every element in the moving system is a variable (belt, platter, bearing, lube, motor specs, etc.). Change any one of them and you need to start over with your evaluations.

AC motors are completely different kettle of fish, although I'm comfortable in asserting that there is a correct torque specification that will balance in a musically coherent manner ... IOW, you can have too much as well as too little torque.

There's quite a bit involved in optimizing these power to mass relationships, and like everything else in audio, the numbers are but a departure point.

We're a finicky lot, and our hearing has evolved over tens of thousands of years in a sophisticated manner which we're just beginning to learn how to measure.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
+++ How does my suspension do all these things? By obeying Newton's Third Law of Motion. +++

With all due respect Doug, your response is no more than a cop out. The type of one liner I'd expect in a Micheal Moore documentary.

Newtons third law states “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction” and it acts upon all turntables, whether suspended or not.

Vibration (floor borne + stand) need to be controlled and damped before it gets to the record-cartridge interface. By introducing a suspension you can both control/convert vibrations to be less troublesome frequency AND turn some into heat.

A fine example of this principle is suspended high rise building in earthquake prone zones. By using suspension the energy of the quake is managed so that the building suffers a lot less damaging energy. The energy transferred to the building is at a frequency the building can withstand and tolerate.

On my Oracle, the floor/stand borne energy transmitted to my stylus record interface is converted from a spectrum of audible frequencies to 5 Hz ... way below what my system is going to responding to, and a lot lower than my cart/tonearm resonance. On an unsuspended turntable you'll get vibration throughout the frequency range.

As for the notion that the suspension interferes with the record stylus interface, that is equally bogus. The arm and stylus is a unit, and the suspension does not come into play.

+++ I did mention that a well designed, high mass plinth is needed to damp resonances on a non-suspended table.+++

Yeah, I had one. No low level detail until I put an air bladder suspension under it. Oops yeah, don't suspended turntables do that all in one?

Regards
Paul