Subwoofer: should we even use them at all?

Dear Community,

For years, I looked forward to purchasing a subwoofer. However, I recently became friends with someone in this field who is much more knowledgable than me. His system sounds amazing. He told me that subwoofers should be avoided because of the lack of coherence that inheres in adding a subwoofer. What do you guys think? I currently use Verity Parsifol Ovations.
elegal
At shows The horn loudspeakers Always gave a less intimate stage than how I create an intimate stage. Even when I was sitting in the middle. My image is a lot more stable and blacks are superior to any horn loudspeaker I ever heard on a show. The level of physical 3D stage ( blacks are here a part from) is not that precise.

With the hornspeakers it is more difficult to have a good image when you sit at different places.
Bo1972, my experience is different. My Audiokinesis Dream Maker horn speakers give me lots of intimate image. Although they aren't nearfield speakers but excel even more at the huge concert level. And they give a wide listening sweet spot.
Also, I own a Velodyne DD18 and know that, yes, it can be pushed forwards (1-2 feet in front of the main speakers) to get some added transient coherence and depth, but this is not practical in my room, and I get good results also closer to the wall, running the sub in 90 degrees phase.
Thanks to everybody for these responses. There is a lot to think about. I guess the only reasonable option would be to sample some sub's and see how they work. However, I don't know if a dealer would let me try something out on such a basis.
Bol1972,
Regarding the way a speaker of any type presents music, I don't feel that imaging, which mine do well (depth much less so) is not the source of perceived "intimacy". Spectral balance and tonal density are more impotant in that regard to me.
The first time I heard the Velodyne DD18 I was amazed by the roomcorrection system of the sub. He had 2 of them. There was no acoustic problem in the low freq. But the thing I found out was that the timing with the loudspeakers (Revel) was not ideal. This is caused by the lack of speed in response.

Depth is a very important part for the absolute sound. I understand that people like horn speaker for there speed and ability to play loud.

I also can play at extreme levels. With Pro roomacoustic measurement I can play as loud as I want to. My speakers have a spl of 118 db. For a not horn speaker this is quite extreme for a small speaker. But I have an extreme deep and wide stage with a physical intimate stage to die for.