Teres still the way to go?

Thinking about going with a Teres 255 again (I've owned one before and loved it). Just wanted to see if there is anything else I should consider in the same price range. Thoughts?
128x128nrenter
Also, I know he is intent on making sure every inch of the Serac is up to his quality standards

Thom is a stickler for getting it right. When I committed to my Gavia (it was still called Quattro Alu at the time), I wanted it in black anodized. It took Thom's anodizer several attempts to achieve the quality level he demanded.

I've had the opportunity to trial the tonearm that Thom is likely to be offering and it runs the Triplanar very close at a fraction of the price.
More insights? I guess so (grin). I was talking regularly with Thom over about 18 months since committing to the Gavia. So I have heard a fair amount about the work he's done on selecting the Serac motor and the base design.

The bearing and drive architecture are the same as used on the other Galibiers. I think he's still working through a few alternatives for the finish to the base. My guess is he could ship Seracs fairly soon, however I think he wants to be totally happy with a finalized design before he starts shipping tables.

The best way to get up to speed with the Serac is to get in touch with Thom. He's a really approachable guy and, who knows, the more people hassling him about the Serac might just hasten its progress!

Note that everyone who has a Galibier is absolutely delighted with their purchase and hasn't posted a word of criticism. That's not coincidence - it's because of Thom's high standards, honesty and hard work. And you don't see used Galibiers up for sale either.
Can you give more info about the "upgraded arm" (is this the Vivid-two?). What type of design is it? What carts mate well with it? Given the "turntable package" what carts would be appropriate (Denon 103-R, XYZ Bloom, etc?)

My previous analog setup was a Teres 255 / Origin Live Silver / Shelter 501 mk II. Given this baseline, (in theory) how would a Serac compare?
It's the Artisan - a rolled aluminum arm tube, gimbal bearing, adjustable VTA and azimuth with magnesium headshell. It's due to be launched in May. I've been working with Thom evaluating a pre-production sample.

I heard the Teres 255 in Colorado and I rate the Galibier motor controller ahead of the Teres. You get better dynamic attack, tighter, extended bass and very little surface noise intrusion.

The Artisan seems to do pretty well with most carts. I've only tried it with a Dyna XX-2 (excellent), Koetsu Black and an Empire EDR.9 (very enjoyable). I believe Thom has been very pleased with his trials with a 103R and a Dyna 20X. I would describe it as very honest, in that it doesn't flatter or apologize for the limitations of the cart or table.

The OL Silver is a good arm, it's very dynamic with lashings of fast bass, however like many cast aluminum arms, it has a slight HF tizziness, lacks subtlety and has a slightly gray tonal coloration. The Artisan is more neutral and has superior micro dynamics - you don't just feel the power of the performance but also the emotion. Thom has described the Artisan as being close to the Triplanar in character.

My personal experience confirms that you should buy the best table you can afford, then the best arm and use whatever's left of your budget for the cart (assuming you already have a good phono stage and RCM).

The Serac/Artisan combo will be a giant killing combo (it will beat the Raven One which retails at $5k) and I would suggest either the Empire EDR.9 ($160) or Dyna 20X ($650) would be great companions. The Dyna XX-2 is stunningly enjoyable, but at $1750 it might be an indulgence.