why are most new releases going to four sides?

I know a number of new albums are being cut with cd in mind (50+ minutes) and with the longer length are being put on four sides of vinyl

personally some of these could easily squeeze onto 2 sides and it would be nice to hear 20+ minutes at a time instead of 2 songs per side

perhaps the expanded grooves have more fidelity, and certainly there is less inner groove distortion, but wouldn't it be nice to hear a whole side in one sitting?
128x128audiotomb
Nsgarch - I like your 3 side ideas. Then we could have one blank side to test antiskating on!
Super Furry Animals 'Phantom Power' was cut on three sides. Personally, sound quality is the main reason why I buy vinyl and not CD. Having invested heavily on my front end (Platine Verdier/Schroeder 2/Allaerts MC1B), ,it would be pointless if the software was useless. I like 4 sides to an album. You get twice the number of records, twice the artwork, what's the problem? For mainstream releases, they also cost the same as single LP albums eg Razorlight.
Bottom line is that 45 rpm has better frequency response, but to fit all the music onto 2 sides requires a compromise in dynamic range and low bass. It should be noted that the blank side has better contact with the platter to drain away resonances. I do not agree that heavy vinyl is a waste. In general, heavy vinyl dampens resonances better and is less susceptible to warping. An extreme case of heavy vinyl is a Mobile Fidelity UHQR. Compare that to the standard Mo Fi issue and you will quickly see what heavy vinyl is good for. Yes, 4 sides is a trade off and these albums are probably best suited for demo purposes. Finally, "why are most new releases going to four sides?" Most are not, only some.
selling a record to same consumer twice is the main function of the 45rpm discs. so much for a 'long player'. the pops, clicks, and other assorted defects are much clearer.
so much for a 'long player'. the pops, clicks, and other assorted defects are much clearer.

Jaybo, maybe it's your Thorens turntable that needs upgrading?

I don't have those problems other than a RARE once or twice an evening "click" at some point in the program material. An evening here is a 4.5 hour session.

I have a dozen members in my group, some are Audiogon members. Perhaps it's time to ask them to chime in on this topic as I grow tired of comments at assumptions that ALL LP REPRODUCTION is a noisy experience.

Sorry yours does not work, but please don't make sweeping statements that assumes all of us have this problem