Looking for turntable for under $1000

I've been looking at turntables but don't want to spend over $1000. I like the Pro-ject line because they have RCA jacks at the base of the tonearm which allows the user to choose any interconnect he wants. Also like the fact that, unlike the Rega, the the VTA can be easily adjusted. I've narrowed it down to the Xpression ($500), RM-6 SB ($900) and the Xperience ($1000). Would be interested in all your thoughts. Thanks everyone. Bob
bobgates
Midirons - I'm very curious how you like your Xperience; I was seriously considering this table and decided to try the cheaper RM-5 first. The Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 is the cartridge I have been using; very nice for the money. I'll be comparing the RM-5 to my friend's latest version of the Rega P3 over the weekend; should be interesting. The people at the place I got the RM-5 from prefer the RM-5; they are a Rega dealer as well as a Pro-ject dealer.
It won't come in until tuesday, so I'll post something a few days after that. THe dealer from whom I purchased mine has an EMotion set-up, so, if I have any exta time, we are going to try and do a comparision. ( I live in the New Orleans area. Things are still a MESS here. Extra time is rare. Good thing I have music!) Feel free to email me through a'gon if you like.
The RM-5 was delivered yesterday and I have been listening to it with a great degree of satisfaction. I've owned a variety of turntables (Linn LP-12, Rega Planar 3, VPI Scout, Clearaudio Emotion, etc.) and have to say this Pro-ject table is really a wonderful performer; I think I have found a keeper. Will be doing some additional tweeking over the rest of the weekend but at this point the sound is very impressive.
Bob,
Not sure where you live. If you can find someone with a Lenco in your 'hood, or even a hundred miles, it will be well worth the time and trouble. I've seen Well Tempered, Nottinghams, Regas, Music Halls fall to the DIY Lenco within the last 12 months alone. Last night I hosted an audio night. We tried my Denon 103, 103 R and a friend's Grado- they all sound fabulous throughout the range, especially the mids.
I hope you have the oppurtunity. Come by my place if you'd like. The room is always ready.
Oregon - thanks for your thoughts on the Lenco; I don't think anyone around here has one. Is the Lenco still being made?