Looking for turntable for under $1000

I've been looking at turntables but don't want to spend over $1000. I like the Pro-ject line because they have RCA jacks at the base of the tonearm which allows the user to choose any interconnect he wants. Also like the fact that, unlike the Rega, the the VTA can be easily adjusted. I've narrowed it down to the Xpression ($500), RM-6 SB ($900) and the Xperience ($1000). Would be interested in all your thoughts. Thanks everyone. Bob
bobgates
The new improved Rega P3 and motor controler upgrade due out in a couple months with the various aftermarket upgrades including VTA adjuster, Boston Audio Design Mat1, Kerry Audio Design F2 counterweight, might be the sweet spot to beat.
Piedpiper - wow that's interesting; maybe it would be best at this point to just wait for the new Rega P3; it's about time Rega did something about the speed, which has always been slightly fast, and also the VTA (that's sure been a long time coming). Thanks for the heads up. Bob
Bob - Check the KUBUSA site for the Technics. Many folks think highly of them. Also, I just ordered a 2Xperience. There's a thread on it started by "reddmadder" on the Vinyl Asylum. Here's one my replies:

I just went through this exercise and ended up ordering a Pro-ject 2 Xperience at $999 w/a Sumiko Pearl catridge included. My currnet table is an MMF-5 with a Golring 1012. It's difficult to make a decision because it's nearly impossible to get several or even one loaner to listen to in your listening room. On your choices:
1. The MMF-7 comes with a Goldring Eroica cartridge. I don't think you can order one without one. Given the reliable performance and of my MMF-5, and favorable comments on AA, I considered purchasing the 7.

2. Horizon - I was never able to listen to any of the Nottingham's but they sure get good comments. I think there's a new Horizon SE with an RB250 arm on A'gon right now. You'll have to purchase a cart for the Horizon, so add another $200 - $500.

3. Emotion - I did listen to the Emotion but in an entirely different system than mine. It sounded quite good with Benz Micro, high output Ace ~ $550, I think. Also the Emotion doesn't come with a dust cover. That's an additional $175 or so. It has an Acrylic platter and I wanted to try something else.

4. You might want to look at the Marantz TT-15SI which is basically an Emotion with a few changes. It is delivered with a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood Cart for about $1,750 for the package. Go to the Music Direct website.

I purchased the Pro-ject because:

1. I've heard and liked several systems with the 9c arm.
2. I like the idea of the platter composition.
3. The Pearl cart is "ok", and it provides an opportunity to upgrade later.
4. Dust cover is included. (not a major factor)
5. I wanted to buy local, and this was one of my choices that this dealer had, the other being the Emotion.

Hell, I may not like the table once it gets here, but I do think it will be an improvement over the MMF-5. If it's not, I'll try again. If my passion for vinyl continues to grow, then I'll start looking at some of the high-end stuff. Hope this helps. Good luck!