Looking for turntable for under $1000

I've been looking at turntables but don't want to spend over $1000. I like the Pro-ject line because they have RCA jacks at the base of the tonearm which allows the user to choose any interconnect he wants. Also like the fact that, unlike the Rega, the the VTA can be easily adjusted. I've narrowed it down to the Xpression ($500), RM-6 SB ($900) and the Xperience ($1000). Would be interested in all your thoughts. Thanks everyone. Bob
bobgates

Showing 8 responses by piedpiper

Just in case my post was confusing, I was suggesting getting the new improved Rega P3 and adding the moter controler upgrade and the other aftermarket upgrades including the VTA adjuster, counter wieght and mat. You can do the upgrades over time if you like. As far as I know, the new stock P3 will not include an easy way to adjust VTA.
As far as I know B & O carts only fit B & O arms.

You can improve the sound of the Pearl by removing the stylus from the cart body and snipping off the plastic housing around the metal insert before reinserting. Considering the price of the stylus it's pretty low risk. I've done it to numerous Pearls for a bit more transparancy. I usually use a band saw, very carefully!
Excellent, I'll be curious to hear what you think. Bear in mind the option of upgrades.
The new improved Rega P3 and motor controler upgrade due out in a couple months with the various aftermarket upgrades including VTA adjuster, Boston Audio Design Mat1, Kerry Audio Design F2 counterweight, might be the sweet spot to beat.
Just a thought: seems like VTA would be easy to adjust on a Rega with some kind of mat type interface of different thicknesses between platter and subplatter or between platter and mat.