Denon 103R or 304?

I have been presented with an opportunity to purchase either a DL-103R or (for $30 more) a DL-304. Either will be mounted on a tweaked RB300 tonearm. I welcome all suggestions and let it be known that this will be my first MC experience.

I have done two evenings worth of research on both cartridges and according to all the data the differences between the two aren't huge. I am leaning towards the 304 however.

Thanks
maktheknife
Can anyone give empirical comparisons of the DL-304 vs. a 103r mounted in an aluminum body with the Soundsmith $250 ruby cantilever/contact line diamond?
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=927632

As you can read from the Vinyl Asylum link above, I have had my SoundSmith top tier $350.00 Modified Zu/Denon DL-103r for about 2 weeks. The sound is amazing through the Bob's Devices Signature CineMag based SUT played through a Cullen Circuits Modified PS Audio GCPH phono stage. [You can read about my reference system in the member’s profile once you get to Vinyl Asylum.]

I am a dyed in the wool Koetsu crazy, but this SoundSmith Modified Zu is a Koetsu killer.

Get one if you can! You will be amazed.

Christopher – my Vinyl Asylum pen name is “Seadog”
When both in stock form, the DL304 is a better cartridge but when the 103R is installed in an aluminium body with a heavy arm, then the 103R will become the winner.
what Kcc123 said. but with just minimal mods the 103 starts to overtake the 304. put the same amount of money into the 103 as you would pay for the 304 and you have a much better cartridge in the 103.
The Denon 300 series does have a decidedly different sound than the 103 series. Personally I prefer my SS retipped DL-103D to any of the 300 series but that is my preference.

Compliance wise both cartridges will work with the RB300. I have run a DL-103R in my modded RB-300 without any issues.

The issue I don't see anyone addressing is that the DL-304 is a very low output MC cartridge (0.18mv). The Parasound ZPhono is supposedly OK with cartridges down to 0.15mv but I would be asking what the S/N would be with the DL-304.

It could be perfectly OK but if you end up with too much background noise it will kind of spoil the party.

Ed