Tracking Force Gauges

I have only coarsely adjusted VTF on my cartridge using a Shure gauge and taking into account the ~ 0.3g overshoot some have reported.

I would like to embark on a careful study of the sensitivity of the sound attributes to small deviations within the recommended mfg's range. I'm curious to know what high VTF sounds like compared to low VTF and to find an optimum setting.

To do this I'm interested in your recommendations on digital VTF gauges with 0.01g accuracy.

I've heard about the MyWeigh scale and others. It seems like the my weigh scale is a traditional looking digital scale in that the measuring platform is very wide with the load cell likley centered beneath the platform. I'm not sure that one gets repeatable and accurate results if the cartridge were to be placed near the edge of the platform if the arm can't be moved in such a way.

Any thoughts on accurate VTF measurements?

Andrew
aoliviero
For what it may be worth, I have a lab certified 2 gram weight and today this new scale from Singapore read exactly 2.000g nine out of ten times. One time it read 1.998g. Last week, it read 2.000g ten times in a row. It also seems to be very consistent in its readings when used with a cartridge. It may be worth every bit of a C-note.
Agreed Vetterone.

Dan_ed. The force gauge from Singapore is not only less than $100.00, air shipping is included at that price.
Hi Dan - I realize that most of the people posting here are sophisticated enough to know this stuff, and make a decision based on their own needs (or psychology) - but I often like to play the Devil's Advocate for newbies who are reading Audiogon and wondering if they now need to spend $250 on a scale for their $650 Rega, etc. These pocket scales (like the $35 American Weigh type) that are used in the jewelery trade are very accurate - they have to be. A tenth of a carat can be $100's of dollars.

BTW - in my own experience, subtle changes in antiskate have a larger effect on sonics than equally subtle changes in VTF. Everyone's different, but I need about two tenths of a gram change in VTF to hear a really significant change, while less than a 1/10 gm. change in A.S. can make a huge difference to me. So part of my reasoning also, is that I don't think I need a scale which is maybe 20 times more sensitive than my ears.
Two things.Well,maybe three.--Dan,I said cheap(still some good stuff,there),not "crapola".Just kidding.You owe me nothing!
The guage,for 95 bucks,includes shipping!Put THAT in your pipe,doubters!!

As to the business of the Jensen scales.I had one,and actually liked it,though there was a platform for dropping the weigh area.I guess I have no problem getting "ripped" a little.Take a look at,and use some common sense regarding stuff like NOS tubes(I spent big dough,here,and got a nice improvement/revoicing,in my phonostage)etc!PLEASE!95 bucks for a really cute device like this is a MUST,to me!My two other friends who have it love it too.

Best!
Vetterone, thanks for posting some measurements. Sounds like your results back up SirSpeedy's.

Hi Albert, I knew that shipping and the paypal fee was included but didn't think about it being airmail.

Opalchip, I understand your reasoning and don't really disagree. I don't think this is a "must have" set-up tool. However, it has been my experience that I will always be changing arms, cartridges, tables, etc., and any tool that can speed up the process is worth my giving serious consideration to adding it to my tool box. Thanks to the feedback this guage has received here on A'gon and the fact that Acoustic Sounds is now selling them, for a pretty hefty mark-up, I'm convinced enough to risk $100. I don't think anyone who buys one of these should be considered a sucker. But, to each his own.

SirSpeedy, I had seen this guage about the time you did but my hat's off to ya for taking the plunge first. I'll gladly buy the first round. But trust me, you don't want me picking the wine! I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge if wine with my last post. :)