Tracking Force Gauges

I have only coarsely adjusted VTF on my cartridge using a Shure gauge and taking into account the ~ 0.3g overshoot some have reported.

I would like to embark on a careful study of the sensitivity of the sound attributes to small deviations within the recommended mfg's range. I'm curious to know what high VTF sounds like compared to low VTF and to find an optimum setting.

To do this I'm interested in your recommendations on digital VTF gauges with 0.01g accuracy.

I've heard about the MyWeigh scale and others. It seems like the my weigh scale is a traditional looking digital scale in that the measuring platform is very wide with the load cell likley centered beneath the platform. I'm not sure that one gets repeatable and accurate results if the cartridge were to be placed near the edge of the platform if the arm can't be moved in such a way.

Any thoughts on accurate VTF measurements?

Andrew
aoliviero

Showing 11 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Andrew,yes with both the the supplied weight,and with my friend's 800 dollar Winds guage!It's very accurate,and worth the 95 bucks,easily.Believe me,I'm into accurate digital guages,but this new guage is very fine indeed!

Best!
Albert,you are quite good natured to actually loan out your Winds.My pals will bring it,but it goes home with them,for sure.
As to the bag of necessary goods,which goes flying across the vehicle,I hope it does not contain any Early pressing Deccas/EMI/Early Columbia recordings.That surely would be the pity!Those are not replaceable!

Best!
Something I had mentioined in the past,and worth repeating.I had compared the 95 dollar guage(I have it too)to my pal's Winds guage.The Winds guage is built like a tank.It has proven very useful,to my friend.It also,weighs a ton,and exudes quality,as in "I'm gonna last a lifetime"!The 95 dollar guage,we are speaking of was within .03 gms of the Winds when we compared accuracy.Beyond that we always tune by ear anyway.All in all this little guy is a fabulous buy,and the most recent issue of HiFi Choice has just reviewed it,stating it was "far more accurate than any guage they EVER tested"!I still think it looks a bit cheap,though.
The door,on guages should really be closed with this cute little device,though I'd be happy to trade mine for a mint Winds!
Best!

PS--for anyone following my audio life,as of lately,my Rowland has finally shipped!!HOORAY!!!
Andtrew,take a look at the "for sale" area of Audiogon,under cartridges.The 95 dollar digital guage(measuring in the 1/1000's,btw) was ordered by myself,and a few friends.It is very accurate(we compared it to a Winds guage)and NOW Acoustic sounds is selling it for 185 dollars.I highly recommend it,and for 95 bucks,it is very well priced.I predict that this will be "the" guage to have,and will obsolete many others.Good luck!

Best!
CTM,you have to pay closer attention!The first guage(which I have,and like)measures to 1/1000's.The second guage is only measured in 1/10's!This is a big difference in the ability to get the most from a good cartridge!Though the ability to measure to 1/100's is all we really need,so the extra range of guage #1 is a bonus.

Best!
Two things.Well,maybe three.--Dan,I said cheap(still some good stuff,there),not "crapola".Just kidding.You owe me nothing!
The guage,for 95 bucks,includes shipping!Put THAT in your pipe,doubters!!

As to the business of the Jensen scales.I had one,and actually liked it,though there was a platform for dropping the weigh area.I guess I have no problem getting "ripped" a little.Take a look at,and use some common sense regarding stuff like NOS tubes(I spent big dough,here,and got a nice improvement/revoicing,in my phonostage)etc!PLEASE!95 bucks for a really cute device like this is a MUST,to me!My two other friends who have it love it too.

Best!
Opalchip,I can't say that I'm not a sucker,at times.-:)

Also,I really DO believe that though the Winds is a fabulous guage(my friend has it,and I've used it extensively),the asking price is going to be it's downfall,now with this new 95 dollar job being so darn good.

The only thing,IMO,keeping this new guage from being the "ONE" to have would be its long term accuracy,and reliability.Let's hope it holds up.Then it would be "sayonara" to the 600-800 dollar Winds guages!Or any other,I guess.

Best!
Hey fellas,an interesting point,and something I can look forward to "scoping out".......Since my circuit breaker box was damaged in the lightning strike(eluding my audio room,thankfully),the electrician doing the new work,and providing a far better "box",claims my current to my electronics was severly limited,by the old unit.He claims I will receive a far better current delivery,and sound, with my new box(I hope).
Also,Jeff Rowland claims(I hope all these claims are a "little bit" accurate)the new power supply circuitry he has given me is far more advanced,and reliable than the old(only two yrs)one.He also claims it cost him a small fortune,yet since I was such a good sport,for waiting without "kvetching",there is NO charge.What a nice guy!
He was,also,in a severe motorcycle accident,but is thankfully fine.I cannot stand by and let him bear this expense without some kind of action,on my part,so I have decided to offer his company some free printing.It seems like the right thing to do,even though I was under warranty.
BTW--I will be enjoying the upcoming TV season in "wide screen Hi Def".I think my family deserves some fun,as the last few weeks have been horrible,and we'd like to put it behind us.
As for my tennis game...It seems like I will be on permanent leave,there,as my epidermal layer(on my palms,and finger tips) has still not healed.My Dr claims this was from all the stress,yet I thought I was handling everything quite well,but this "hands crap" really sucks.Imagine brushing your tweeth in pain.I don't have to go anywhere else,with this.Use your imagination.
Though I will still set-up my pal's Tranny Orpheus,only will be wearing cotton gloves.

Based on my schedule,and desperately in need of a nice vacation,I may wind up going to the RAF!!BOY,would I love that.I'll bet my hands would clear up,too!

Best!!
I had the Cartridge Man guage.The problem with it was that it needed to be recharged often.Not a good thing if you suddenly need to check downforce.Also,I was sceptical of the accuracy after about ten minutes of going back and forth to the table.There was, often,a differing readout.Sorry!Maybe mine was out of wack.

As to you,Albert.Though the 95 dollar guage seems to be a really nice unit,I'd be happy to trade you mine,for your Winds. -:)

We have compared this guage to my friend's Winds guage and found a difference of 6/100's difference.Not really a big thing,and who knows for sure which is most accurate.
The nice thing about the 95 dollar guage(btw-Acoustic Sounds sells it for 185 bucks)is that it immediately tares to zero,so checking downforce is really fast.It seems to be quite consistent too.

I do wish it was a little more robust looking though.The Winds looks like a "Mosler Safe",and I like the heavy duty look,and feel.Yet it can be a pain in the tush to "fotz" around with that little zeroing out dial,to achieve that "blinking zero" reading,which must be had for supposed accuracy.
Still,if I already had the Winds I'd never think of another guage again,unless I was the kind of 'phile who had a really complex,tube laden,and (word on the street,from what I've been told)slightly dark sounding system,that lacked a bit of inner detail. -:)Just kidding!!!

Best!
Great posts,by many of you "reliable" guys!!

Just to clear up some of my comments regarding the Build of the Singapore guage,which I DO own,and like enough to have given away(for free,btw)my Audio Parts guage(another nice one,too),my concern about build was only in reference to my friend Sid's Winds guage.It is built like a tank(the Winds).I know the "Singapore special" is alot less money,but I'll bet it costs next to nothing to manufacture,and even at 95 bucks,they could have made it a bit more robust in the density of the plastic.It is SOLEY my little gripe,and taste.
It is clearly "the" guage to have,based on the performance,and it was me who felt my friends should go in on one,with me.Trust me,it was NOT an easy "sell" to them!!Well we did,and ALL like it.
I'm really glad all of you like it as well,as you are some of the nicest hobbyist types I've ever corresponded with.

I'm especially happy that Albert feels it is a good value,since he has the FABULOUS Winds!!Then again Albert seems to have "the fabulous everything"!

Best!