Schroeder vs. Triplanar VII Sonic Differences

All,

I have read a lot of threads regarding the "superiortiy" of these tonearms in the right combinations of tables and catridges. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot said about the soncic characteristics of each brand and the differences between them. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about their strengths and weaknesses, sonci characteristics, applicability to various types of music (rock, pop, classical, large scale, small scale, etc).

Will a Schroeder deliver dynamics, punch, bass suited to Rock music? Will a Triplanar deliver natural, timbral accuracy? Are both these arms suited to the same music?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
aoliviero
Hey Sirspeedy (love to find out what the name means...although I think I know) what a wonderful idea!!!!!! Yes I am attending and I will contact the GREAT Sid and Dave. You are all more then welcomed to come by my home to listen to my system later that night or day...if you don't mind listening to a 25 year old speakers (Infinity RS 1-B's). I will certainly provide the wine and the single malt scotch. I used to LOVE the single stuff when I participated in a nip or two. Problem was....it was always a nip or twenty....know what I mean. So I've been "sober" for 11 years now and you know what...my system still sounds pretty good (LOL).
My home and listening room is not too large (will hold 6-8) but if the whether is nice that night we could always go out on the deck and have a drink (soda for me) and a few laughs. You all......are wonderful. Again, Sir....GREAT idea.
And now, I will be off with my son to the movies to is "16 Blocks" or "Inside Man".
Those of you in north/central NJ are close to Nick Doshi, who built my amp and preamp. He's one of the most talented equipment designer/builders I ever expect to know. (Nick:Doug::Jose:Raul) I'm driving down tomorrow night to pick up the amp, but won't have time to stop by and annoy anyone else. :-(

Our standing invitation is open to SirFrog, Rwd or anyone else from the Soprano's State. I'd love to actually meet you guys. Heck, SirScorpion can check my antiskating any time he wants to.

Unfortunately I can't commit to VTV or any out of town event. I'm on active job search and have several promising interviews coming up. If one of them comes through I may be working lots of hours getting up to speed with a new organization.
RWD,I loved "16 Blocks",and "Inside Man"!Actually "V For Vendetta" was quite good too.I liked "Capote",and "Outback Mountain"(Oh,that's a steak place)as well.But the movie I'm really waiting for is "The Davinci Code"!!Read the book and WOW!I hope they don't screw up the movie.

Doug,I'm certain I would find NOTHING less than "perfect",from your set-up!I learned my lesson,and must admit to having a conscience.Though your record collection might be another matter.Especially if you ascribe to your pal Arthur's take,on the British Deccas vs the Dutch pressings -:)

Best!
Guys,

Well I went with the Triplanar-7. I just set up my TT (Acoustic Signature Mambo) with the TP-7 and get this, a 40 doallr Grado!

I met my goal. It clearly beats my digital fromt end, which is pretty hot. Much better than I expected. Analog is where it's at.

I haven't even measured tracking force, anti-skate or optimized VTA! Imagine how much better it will get after I optimize the setup and put a real cartridge on it! I'm hooked! You guys will me seeing more threads from me.

I agree with Rwd. the commardarie in this section is incredible. I owe immense thanks and graditude to Doug, Thom Mackris, Raul, Thomasheissig and Cello. You have all been an immense help. Thank you all.

I will say that I didn't pass on the Schroeder because of actual perfromance or anything like that. It came down to budget and feedback on the arms based on my tastes. Also, since this is my first analog rig, I wanted to experience the importance and effect of changes of all of the key adjustments (SRA, VTF, anti-skate, azimuth, etc). Since the TP-7 makes it a little easier to evaluate this, it was the obvois choice. If VTA, forexample becomes less of a concern for me, I might choose amother arm.

Down the road I will try to sonically compare the Schroeder Ref with the TP-7 with Thom's help and see if I want to make a switch. At this point, I'm very happy with the overall result.

I will certainly try to make the show in New Jersey. I hope to meet some of you in person there. Aside from this opportunity, I would like to visit Doug and Thom who so gratiously extended invitations.

Andrew
One more thing, please let me know if some of you will do another tonearm comparison like the one Cell perfromed.