Schroeder vs. Triplanar VII Sonic Differences

All,

I have read a lot of threads regarding the "superiortiy" of these tonearms in the right combinations of tables and catridges. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot said about the soncic characteristics of each brand and the differences between them. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about their strengths and weaknesses, sonci characteristics, applicability to various types of music (rock, pop, classical, large scale, small scale, etc).

Will a Schroeder deliver dynamics, punch, bass suited to Rock music? Will a Triplanar deliver natural, timbral accuracy? Are both these arms suited to the same music?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
aoliviero

Showing 25 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Rick,I'm going with Sid and Dave,as well as a few other audio buffs.I see no reason why we cannot meet,and scope out a few rooms together.Get in touch with Dave,and maybe you can work out a carpool,from N.Y.

Best!
Dan,I would love to have you make it!You seem like a great guy.Maybe I'll bring along my early DOORS LP!-:)

Best!
I know a fellow hobbyist,actually a fanatical LP collector/audiophile,who was very doubtful as to the effectiveness of this.He has a "fabulous" collection of vinyl.Actually,probably one of the best LP collections available.He did spring for the disc flattener,in question,and is head over heels "crazy" about it.It does everything claimed,and does NO damage to any LP he's tried.He has some extremely rare,and expensive discs which, when flattened ,were "better than new",according to him.

Looks like a winner,but not cheap!
Sorry,as I'm not trying to diminish anyone's product satisfaction.The fact is,that once we DO decide on a product,even with some operational quirks,we,as the person who spent our money,become very adept at operating it correctly.I have had vacuum systems for over twenty years,and never had my stylus drop anywhere,other than on the LP groove.But I don't let my audio pals operate my stuff,just in case.

Best!
I STILL would own a Kuzma Airline if circumstances permitted me to attribute the effort.I just love the challenge,knowing what I have heard,or at least thought I heard, with a great linear tracker.All compared to the previous,well regarded pivots that my friend owned,before the Air Tangent.Though I STILL feel,based upon my own conjecture,that a Shroeder Ref. would be supremely close.

That being said,the Air Tangent has "stuck",on occassion.No apparent harm to the cartridge,but "not fun"!

Also,Thom is BIG TIME right about the dangers of a perifery clamp.To take it one step further,what if your fingers slipped when placing it down(I believe it requires a two handed grip).These things are heavy!We are talking about "taking out" the arm/cartridge,and a nice gash in your cute table.Definitely NOT for me!

Best!
Larry,BOY am I glad to hear(SOMETHING)from you.I admit to being a bit saddened by lack of correspondence.You were SUCH a nice guy!!

Anyway,the record flattener basically does nothing to change the characteristic of the original LP,as I understand it,from this guy.He is ecstatic!Believe me,he has a record collection like no other,and has way more rare,and valuable collectible discs than anyone I know of.Yet,he will not flatten any friends' discs,as he doesn't want a "Run" on his unit!Can't blame him!

Hope this info helps!BTW--buy it!!
BTW,Dan--I have a mint first pressing of the DOORS first album.Really!I'd be glad to let you "steal it" from me,if you can manage to get me an Allaerts MC Finish -:)

Also,Larry,now that I have your attention(I lost your E-mail address),what is the name of,and where can I get the solo guitar/singer Lp you played for me.You know which one.The guy who composed the tune about Michael Jorden.Your friend Pat gave me an E-mail address for it,but it did not exist.That was one of the things I wanted to discuss with you when your cell was cut off.As well as the possibility of my adding the Townshends.Knowing you are very busy,I don't want to "nudge" you on the phone.

Thanks.
Rwd,I am quite friendly with both of them,but belong to no clubs.As to the question of what's better,I really can't answer about any products I have not owned,and compared.Yet,you know a thing or two about what's good,so you will make a good decision.
As to the pre issue--You would be SHOCKED with how much farther,in design and performance,someone like Steve Huntly,of Great Norther Sound,can take an Audio Research unit.He literally rebuilt my SP-15(I counted at least 60 new parts),though expensive,it was much cheaper than the "buy and sell" syndrome,and I can honestly say it is of superb quality,in phono and linestages.I had previously owned the venerable SP-10,and SP-11,and it is NOT close.Actually,I think it may now be the finest component in my system.Check out their website.

Best!
Rick,I wasn't hinting at you driving.I thought you lived near Dave,and that He would drive.Sorry!
BTW-16 years ago,I lived in Great Kills!I won the "Walker Park" tennis open back then,that park,near St.Vincent Hospital(where my kids were born) is where the very first tennis court was introduced to the U.S.,by Mary Outerbridge!Just some meaningless info.

Best!
Doug,actually I believe the cheap wine I brought to Larry's place may have been partly responsible for the disappointing amount of correspondence he and I have had(I was pretty sad about that,for awhile,but I've gotten good at rationalizing).Hey,it did cost me eleven bucks-:)I drink it all the time,but I guess those hoity toity "Florida 'Philes" are used to something special.Like GOOD stuff.Not found in Joisey.

BTW--You might want to re-think any invites,for me.I wouldn't want to go off again(and what a "putz" I was)on some stupid misalignment,like antiskate,or God forbid,something else I might find.Though I'm fairly sure your set-up is just fine!As to me,you know the story of "the frog and the scorpion"?I've tried really hard to be a frog,for the last few months,but why tempt me?

BTW-You're still a nice guy,even though I'm "southwest" of NYC,and not "northeast",where you'll find the more "Normal" audiophile fare!And believe me,I'm tempted to make a trip,as my friggin amp is in for maintenance,as well as my table,which is in for an update.As my friends say--I'm hi-fi dry!

Best!
RWD,I loved "16 Blocks",and "Inside Man"!Actually "V For Vendetta" was quite good too.I liked "Capote",and "Outback Mountain"(Oh,that's a steak place)as well.But the movie I'm really waiting for is "The Davinci Code"!!Read the book and WOW!I hope they don't screw up the movie.

Doug,I'm certain I would find NOTHING less than "perfect",from your set-up!I learned my lesson,and must admit to having a conscience.Though your record collection might be another matter.Especially if you ascribe to your pal Arthur's take,on the British Deccas vs the Dutch pressings -:)

Best!
Rick,"wow"--thanks for the compliment,but it was truly undeserved!Of course it was a real pleasure meeting you,and you are a true "class act".That was the sentiments of ALL of us,so you will clearly be involved in more than a few of our little listening sessions.BTW--are we obsessed,or what?Does Sid have the most amazing LP collection(of virtually every lp of interest,to anyone)or were we hallucinating the "Great Walls of Vinyl".Don't kid yourself!We saw what looked to be a stolen stash of lp's,tucked under your jacket,as you got into your car!-:)

BTW--Ed is the least quiet of us all,but it was your day,to get the Royal Treatment.My tush still hurts from not being able to sit in the preferred chair,which was reserved(a week in advance)for you!Thanks,for nothing.

BTW-the Air Tangent was the more "meat on the bones sounding",with this new arm being a bit more dynamic,but slightly attenuated on the highs.Sorry!I had to get that in.
What really becomes obvious,in this hobby,is the absolute fact that there are tons of great choices,for great sound!No definitive "one or two,or five" best of anything,as you know.I'm always amazed at how good something "new to me",that another skilled,thinking, hobbyist has employed in their own system impacts what I do,in the future.That happened to me,after visiting a fellow hobbyist,in Florida.Now I'm spending a fair amount of dollars,like you Rick,after hearing something I liked,in this fellows set-up.The cycle never ends.

BTW--It was YOU who demonstrated an incredible sense of listening skills.I don't think I would have noticed the fact that Tony Bennett was in an isolated booth,while the rest of the musicians were sounding like they were coming from someplace else.Sid loved that comment.I was "clueless",as usual!

So,go for your new table/arm.

Just make sure it's a choice I can be jealous of.I don't live far from you.

Best!
Sorry!I did forget to mention(to be fair)that the ONLY time there was any "sticking" problems,in the Air Tangent,was when the owner was remiss in the regular maintenance cycle.Which was not an overtly significant amount.Also,he only started to get "lazy" about this,when he realized he wanted to cut out maintenance completely,and go the pivot route.Partly due to the influence of mutual friends,owning the newer arm,and touting how good it was.Sound familiar?It's just human nature,I guess!BTW--I'm going to hear it in about three weeks,so will know,for sure,if the linear tracker has been superceded by a better "mouse trap"!
I just noticed that there will be(according to the product listings)a Schroder arm,at the VTV show,in May.This show is in Piscataway NJ,about five minutes from my business.I hope this is a working demo,as I have always been interested in hearing a set-up with a Schroder employed.

Does anyone have further info as to if this arm,and which model,is going to be available for audition.Also,with what associated equipment?

Thanks,in advance!
RWD,I'm a bit surprised at you.You are in the same audio club as SID(you know who),who has just gotten rid of his wonderful Air Tangent.He replaced it(for practical reasons)with the latest VPI 12.6,and LOVES the new arm.You should know what a critical listener he is,and if there was a problem,he would have noticed it by now.Not to take anything away from the other "fabs" arms you mention,but where did you hear of the newest VPI 12.6 sounding lousy?This is news to me!Why don't you give Sid a call?Or Dave,who has been to Sid alot,lately,and helped with the new table/arm set-up.

Best!

Oh,btw--thanks Cello!!
I have never heard of Glenmorangie,or Lagavulin(have any of you heard of Gallo?),but from the "great cheap wines" that I have come to be acquainted with,I have noticed that some of the newer(from cheapo wines) corks look to be of a superb material,to act as an effective dampening footer,under certain equipment.Of course it would have to be cut into disc form,but don't laugh!The next time you splurge for a ten dollar bottle,assuming it is NOT actually real cork,take a gander at some of the "rubbery" stuff employed these days.Looks to make really good footers,for some equipment.I know,I know,I HAVE really lost it!But who doesn't know that,already?
Of course I wouldn't be surprised if some of this stuff got bought in bulk,cut to various sizes and was sold as fairly pricey dampening material.Knowing how this hobby can be,at times.

BTW,Doug--That was a very nice gesture,on your part.For those living in geographical proximity to you,and Paul.Sort of lends creedence to one of my favorite phrases---"It's nice,to be nice,to the nice"!You and Paul must be "nice guys"!!
Of course that is no guarantee that anyone will find your system sounding--"nice" -:)

Best!
RWD,funny you should mention the Garrard.I brought this table up to Sid,two days ago,as I printed out a review,for him,and his pal.He lamented that he owned it,years ago.He claimed he was really sorry that he had gotten rid of it.He meant it!

Also,Rick,Dan,Doug,Paul,Raul,Cello,Gmorris,Nsgarsh and any,and ALL of the guys I correspond with here---I'd love it if maybe you considered making the trip,to central New Jersey,for the VTV show.We could all meet,and possibly share some "cheap" wine together -:)May 6 is the day I attend with my group of fanatics.
I'd like to say There's an invite to hear my system,but my amp is out to Rowland,for maintenance/update,as well as my turntable,which is out for some newest mods.Sorry!
Oh,forgot to add my son graduates from medical school,in May,and ALL my family and inlaws are coming up,from Florida,at that time,so just to sneak out to the show is a miracle,in itself.

Best!
Rick,we are (Sid,Dave and some others)going out to dinner,after the show.In the local area,where I know of a KILLER restaurant.Of course you are invited!Also,if you join us,you will experience some of the FINEST "cheap wines" available,in the Central Jersey area.What a treat,heh?Only I must know two weeks in advance as I am making the reservations.Anyother guys I correspond with are automatically included,of course.BTW,this restaurant(not overpriced)is SO good,it is worth coming to,even without going to the show!

BTW--on a selfish note:-Go for the Schroder Ref.--You don't live too far from me,and this way I'll get a chance to hear one.I'd also consider helping to set it up,provided you tempt me with a "cheap" Pinot Noir!

You can E-mail my printing center--Sirspeedy 7068 @earthlink.net

Best!
Not to try to create a bad vibe,but the Triplanar does have some important warts,that the mfgr has NOT,to my knowledge corrected.Since so many of us are so critical about the most minute detail of analog,I have to mention two of them,and would be a bit surprised if(unless they have been corrected)owner/defenders got uptight.
Firstly,the VTA "dial" on top,has too much play.It is useless in terms of "sighting" in a numerical setting,and being able to "for sure",go back to it by sight.Sure it can,and should be set by "ear",but after having an arm that is supremely accurate here,after owning the Triplanar,the accuracy and repeatability can easily be appreciated,and is more than easily dismissed!
Secondly,since it has become almost painfully obvious,how incredibly small amounts of downforce(1/100's of a gm)can affect sound quality,in a really good rig,the Triplanar's "hunt and seek" twisting/pushing of the counterweight is,let's say "not fun".Especially if you want to zero in on specific downforce weights.Once again,when you have had an arm that does this much more accurately,and easily,it becomes "more" of a big deal.There are arms of similar performance,and maybe a bit better,that offer these features.
None of this is of earth shattering importance if one doesn't mind fotzing around,in some cases for an afternoon!Obviously,the Triplanar is a wonderful arm,or it would not be so popular.I DID like mine.ALOT!!
Also,my Graham 2.2 is FAR from perfect,though it dispenses with the problems I just mentioned (the criticality of that darn fluid is not a "fun thing",if you want to go all the way,with performance)and the cartridge choices can be somewhat limited,which I'm not wild about.Yet,it is a HECK of alot better than many 'scribing here can/will know.I have no axe to grind,regarding any of the great arms,we all love to talk about,and am not going to "go off" about anything,like the past,but fair is fair!
Truthfully,I believe any of our favorite arms,discussed in these threads,will have their own specific idiosyncracy(hope I spelled that OK),but we DO lean,a bit too much to the "chosen few".That's perfectly OK with me,btw.I love to ponder them all!!

Best!
Doug,in all honesty,you seem to becoming a bit guilty of what I was being accused of some months ago.
I really tried to make my comments rather benign,and specifically stated that the criticism "was not earth shattering",and could be attended to,with some "fotzing around"!I am certain my conclusions are not inaccurate,but none of this should be of any consequence anyway!
My intentions were to simply "rap anlog",on a subject that may be of interest,but nothing profound.
I make sure to keep any additional feelings I may have about certain arms,like the one I currently own,and it's "still fabulous" performance,to a minimum,as I believe this subject has been played out,and there is clearly more interest in other arms,on these threads.Yes,there does seem to be a good bit of marketing,and defense of friends,going on,but who cares?I like it all,anyway.
There was no need to "correct me",though I still love you,and don't fall into the pattern that I regrefully did!
Best!
Dougy,it seems you want to create some kind of "thing" regarding some of my comments.Please don't cross every "T",and dot every damn "I",when I mention something.
I don't think it would have been such a "stretch",to figure out that my comment about fotzing around,for an afternoon,was ONLY when one is NOT used to something,as in just obtaining it.Obviously,as with anything,it is no big deal,and can be done quickly,as time passes and we become familiar with "whatever" product we choose to focus on.But a fairly new owner has to learn a bit,before they can become as competent as you.-NO?-That's how I believe you should have interpreted my comment!That was my intent.
As of now I'm sorry I even mentioned it!Sort of feels like the "old days".

In an effort to be fair,I purposely mentioned some warts I believe my arm has,so as to disarm any potential criticism,and allude to the fact that I was trying to simply make a benign comment,about your beloved Triplaner.
In the future I'll be much more guarded about any comments,and of course won't respond to stupid stuff,like "it made our ears bleed",and "maybe the cleaning crew threw the anti-skate off"!Oh,I forgot,I never did respond to those!!
BTW-I view you as a passionate hobbyist that loves to "rap the hobby",and a very nice guy(same goes for you Paul).Please don't feel I'm trying to disrespect you,or create a bad vibe.

Best regards!

Just to fill any gaps,smartly left out,by Rick,the pre was the CJ ART II,with CJ Premiere Phonostage.Cartridge was the Titan(newest).An older,and killer good,monoblock Krell was used for the bass towers.There is no problem mentioning the table.Sid OK'd this.It is the newest version of the VPI TNT,with the "very latest,and not commercial production multi layer "metal sandwitch" platter.There is still work to be done in voicing the table/arm(an air suspension under table,btw).All cabling is "really mega cheapo stuff" that is in the system because it works great,in that specific set-up.I have another pal that did not get good results with these cables,but they are incredible in Sid's set-up!!As is the room,with minimal acoustic treatment,but really cool pics of great composers/musicians.

One note,of what should really be of extreme importance(I'm sure you can confirm this,Rick),is that Sid is NOT influenced by any industry,or typical audiophile hype,or preferrences.Could care less about the latest great reviewed product.He is absolutely the most amazing person when it comes to what I can only describe as having a GREAT sense of "sensibilities".And even this is an understatement!!The guy simply knows what music should sound like,in a home environment.Sounds rudimentary,and simple,but it is "the stuff of musical life",in a canned environment.Which is what ALL audio systems are subject to.

Anyone currently lucky enough to hear his amazing "giant killer" system(not to mention his REDICULOUSLY great LP collectin)is going to be knocked off their "zen" for a while.I mean that in the best possible way.Actually I theorize that his room lies somewhere between two "black holes",and the "laws of physics" simply break down there.It is my only rationalization as to how such a wild,old and not so old,set-up can fuction that well!

The guy is a "Legend"!!
Though I would not argue the potential advantages,sonically,of an arm like the apparently superb Kuzma Airline(and BOY,would I love to own it),there is a clear disadvantage to the amount of attention,that has to be paid to any arm of this type,in the "convenience" area.Being in the form of the air bearing and pump maintenance,tubing runs,dessicant,and potential for humidity to build up on the bearing.Dehumidifier or not!No matter how good an arm of this type is,it IS a "physical commitment",compared to a "pivot"!But,probably worth it,if you are committed.

If I didn't have such a "friggin" busy life,I definitely would have the patience to deal with it,as it really is(from what I'm told,by friends familiar with it)really SPECIAL!!I DO envy it's owners,though.Yet the arms previously mentioned,"all" are superb performers.Some probably a bit better than others,in a given system.

My dear friend,who just recently got rid of his FABULOUS Air Tangent,does not miss it very much.Even though he moved on,to a fairly straight forward pivoting design.In all truthfullness,he simply got tired of maintaining the thing.Though he did have it for many years.

I loved the sound of his analog "rig"with the Straight Line Tracker.It was a clear improvement over all his previous pivoting arms,but ergonomics,and the impact of every day convienience,forced his hand.He tells me he is still thrilled,with his LP sound,so who am I to judge?

Yet,taken to the lengths that we sometimes go to(who am I kidding,we ALWAYS go to)in these threads,the KUZMA does look to be the new "Owner of the Throne",in arms.Sadly I will not find out,too soon!

Best!
BTW Thom,the Air Tangent,that my pal owned,replaced the E.T.-2.At that time,four of my friends ran that arm.They all loved it!!AMOF a good portion of "The Mercury LP Series" reviewed in TAS was reviewed with the E.T.

The Air Tangent was an upgrade,though,in performance.But it was not a big leap in performance,originally.Just about as you described!!Until there was the addition of a new compressor,which really stiffened the bearing.Two people I know went that route,and did cartwheels afterwards!!Literally,the addition of a "dentist office compressor",and bought from some retiring orthodontist in Brooklyn.Originally,we laughed at this,but were clearly proven too quick to judge.This did significantly improve the bass response of the Air Tangent.However when it would cycle in,you thought someone was running a motor boat engine,in the next room.My friend had it sandwitched between king size pillows!Amazing how we go to some lengths,for our passion,and I know of nobody more passionate about vinyl replay than my friend."Ya godda luv the guy"!

Best!
The unit is the Air Tight(of this I'm pretty sure).It lists at about two grand,and I believe is carried by a variety of places,like Music Direct,or Acoustic sounds.

The reason it originally interested me(remember I put out a thread,vying for some kind of chip-in,which is really not a great idea),was because it IS very reliable,and repeatable.So,you have no worries about flattening out expensive/rare discs.This guy has flattened everything from rare,collectible early mono,to Decca Wide Bands,to the rarest EMI's.Plenty of POP music too.He is a "serious" hobbyist(ya know--with multiple arms,and a cartridge salon,consisting of the Titan,mono and stereo,as well as the Koetsu Coral Stone).

I have noticed some other manufacturers(like Clearaudio)offering these flatteners,but the pricing seems to be getting rediculous(as in too high).

I have always been surprised as to why something like this type of flattening unit has not really caught on,as much as it should have.More "local hobbyists" should chip-in on one,or even a dealer could offer the service.It seems to be a great accessory,if you have a large lp collection,or are a very active collector.The "bit" with the heated glass "Rube Goldbergs" never appealed.

The only caveat would be,after you've flattened your dozen or so warped discs,the unit could sit around for a long time.Unless one decides to make a few bucks on their friends-:)

Best!