List or discuss your favorite music

List your favorite music recordings, and why you love them. Sonic excellence, musical and emotional content, or maybe just fun and memories.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Tommy, Liked Tower very much. I did not find anything this visit, but will return again soon. I have been going strong on EBAY, they seem to always have multiple titles that I want. I just missed a T Bone Walker, outbid by .50 cents! Anyway, I just ordered 24 new titles from Classic Records, 8 of which are the 45 RPM pressings. Can hardly wait to hear all of them.
albert, i havent gotten any of the classics but the kind of blue interests me a lot. with about 6k LPs, i have plenty of choices at home. it doesnt stop me from buying more tho. sometimes buying a new cartridge is like buying new records. thats what happened when i got the oc9. evay sounds like a good thing, but sight unseen is difficult for me. there are a multitude of places to get used vinyl here in LA, and i feel fortunate. theres a hi fi swap llisted in the audio asylum genersal asylum on 30apr plus a record swap at the same loc. hit upscaleaudio.com for info.
Anything by GENTLE GIANT the best 70's progressive band. Also anything by Pat Metheny, Flim + The BB's , Bela Fleck on the jazz side.
Here's a few of my favorites: Pat Metheny - standouts are "First Circle" (wonderful sense of composition and performance aesthetic, but only average sound quality) and "Secret Story" (widely eclectic mix of styles, very detailed production). Liquid Tension Experiment - "Vol. 1" & "Vol. 2" - Progressive rock isn't dead...it just snuck behind Metal, choke-slammed it and stole it's wallet when it wasn't looking. Seriously, though, some of the most brilliant keyboard work from Jordan Rudess, loud, fast and cool compositions. Manic drum work from Mark Portnoy...best double bass work I've ever heard. Anyone who was into early Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP or King Crimson (and then got into Metallica, Blue Murder or Queensryche) has gotta hear these two instrumental discs. Diana Krall - "When I Look in Your Eyes" - wonderful, understated and elegant - quiet cool of Nat "King" Cole, gorgeous voice, immaculate, detailed production. Keith Jarrett - "Hourglass/Staircase" - I'm not sure of the whole title, but originally a double record album. Solo studio piano, more contemplative than similar live work (i.e., Koln Concert) of same period. Incredible piano timbre...I think I read once it was Manfred Eicher's personal rosewood Steinway on this record. Van Der Graff Generator - "Pawn Hearts" - '70's progressive without the "fairy dust, alien-world" lyrics. Instead, you have the very dark ruminations of bandleader/singer/guitarist Peter Hammill seemingly slowly going insane. You want angst? You want desperation? You want driven existentialist rants? NIN seems childish and obvious by comparison. Vladimir Ashkenazy - "Complete Chopin Etudes" - There may be cleaner recordings of the Etudes, but one of my personal faves. Tilson Thomas conducting Rachmaninov 2nd Piano Concerto - more romantic than Marvin Gaye or Luther Vandross. And good recent recording, decent production aesthetic. Bill Bruford's Earthworks - "Earthworks" - their first release. In which Bill proves you can jam in 15/16 and still stay in a nice hotel. Seriously, though, wonderful blend of electronic percussion, acoustic percussion, traditional jazz small ensemble and way cool modern composition. Lyle Mays - "Lyle Mays" - I think Mays is good candidate to pick up the mantle of our dearly missed Bill Evans. Very sensitive used of electronic keyboard orchestration, great tunes. King Crimson - "Discipline" and "Beat" - hard to describe...the harder-edged incarnation of the '80s of this long-lived band. "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", "Red" and "USA" are also watershed releases from Crimso. Barber's Adagio - I have a recent release which contains every authorized version of this wonderful work (for string ensemble, pipe organ, choir) as well as more innovative versions...every one is a gem. I have hundreds more I could list...but this post is too long as it is. Sorry about that.
Timwat, Man! What a music lover! I will have to re read this a few times to take it all in. I have Pat Metheny, Genesis, Gentle giant, King Crimson, Nat King Cole, Diana Krall, and some of Keith Jerrett (If only Jerrett wouldn't HUM along with his playing!) As for Bill Evans, I MUST be among his biggest fans. As for the remainder, I will have to look into some of this material and discover what I have been missing. But as stated in King Crimson's "Discipline," "The more I look at it, the more I like it!"