MC transformers - what do they sound like?

Besides providing gain, are good quality MC transformers transparent to the signal they are providing the gain to. Or do they give added/reduced bass weight, more high end sparkle, added grain or what?.
This is obviously compared to active gain
It seems that audiophiles either luv or hate MC transformers?.
downunder
You're going to get a some interesting responses to this question. The two sides will probably confuse you more than help you. All I know is that I have a Hagerman Trumpet MM phono stage and the designer himself confirmed for me that the MM version of the Trumpet combined with a quality MC step-up was a better configuration than buying the MC version of the Trumpet. In any event I think system synergy is more critical when using a MC step-up as you're adding another piece to the chain, but I have experienced great sound with my modest K&K Lundahl and haven't had any issues with bass.
This topic can be one of the most contentious ones you'll find in this forum. There are people I respect greatly, but with whom I disagree on this topic.

The relevant question (as far as colorations are concerned) is to compare an MC step-up against an active gain stage.

I fear that those who report bad results with step-ups are wrongly accusing the architecture when it is the implementation that is at fault. Anytime you're given freedom to choose (a transformer, interconnect, line stage, etc.), you have an opportunity to screw up.

Matching a trannie to a cartridge (assuming we're talking about a quality trannie) involves knowing the DC Resistance (DCR) of the coils in your cartridge. You're typically looking to match the cartridge's DCR with that of the transformer's primary ... with the trannie being as much as double the cartridge's DCR, but not much more than that.

Secondly, there is the issue of the reflected impedance that the cartridge sees. In it's native mode (without additional loading resistors), a cartridge will "see" a 470 ohm load through a 1:10 step-up, when connected to a phono stage with a 47K input impedance.

You can run into problems if for example you have a cartridge that wants to be loaded at 1K or 5K and you're using a 1:10 step-up. You will have excessive high frequency roll-off. This is not normally an issue, because the numbers tend to work in your favor. For example, almost all .2mv to .5mv cartridges can use a 1:10 step-up from a gain perspective, as well as from the perspective of the impedance they like to see, which is typically well under 470 ohms. You can always add resistors in parallel to drop the load, but you can't easily raise it.

For some excellent discussions on transformers, go to the Jensen transformer website (http://www.jensen-transformers.com/mc.html). On my support page, I
have some links to excellent articles on step-ups - written by Jim Hagerman (Hagerman Technology) and John Chapman (Bent Audio).

Trannies are yet one more instance of the old adage - it's not so much the chosen architecture, but how well you implement it. I happen to like them because it allows you to tailor a phono stage to a particular cartridge. Other people are baffled by such choices. Others have fallen in love with the colorations of their favorite MC active gain stage.

Knowledge is power.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
The Jensens are amongst the best. Audio Research uses them in their reference phono and Rowland uses them as balancing transformers. I think though Audio Research is charging a lot of money for something you can buy directly from Jensen for a couple of hundred bucks.
I've used a couple of inexpensive Denon step-up trannies with Denon DL-103 carts and think they're great. Excellent synergy. Dave
Rwwear,
Look at these. When I get a few buck,I am going to mod my 834p with a set of these mosters.
http://www.stevens-billington.co.uk/page103.htm
Makes the jensens look like toys.

Tim