List or discuss your favorite music

List your favorite music recordings, and why you love them. Sonic excellence, musical and emotional content, or maybe just fun and memories.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Get every Classic 45, decca, emi re-issues you can. I buy them automatically and haven't been disappopinted with any of them. Some of these are better than my $$$ mint orginals, only a collector should pay the big bucks for the orginals. The best music value out there are these re-issue and the use $5 record bins. Looking for a rare gem is fun and extremely enjoyable. The side benefits is that yoy can try different artists, performance and music outside of your experience and discover some great things. cheers, Gerrym5
WHO DOES A BLUES SONG CALLED "IM A RAM" I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO THIS AM AND LOVED THE GUITAR WORK.IS IT ON VINYL?
well i just perused this whole list of faves and feel the urge to add to it and comment on some of it. lets start with the self titled "osamu" perhaps best described as japanese jazz fusion with not so much emphasis on the fusion. i have a few american copies and 1 japanese which is th best of the lot. i buy them when i see them, just in case. one of the tunes has a female vocalising in a very ehtereal way. i had the disc for years before i read the liner notes and found that it was minnie ripperton! if you see it, BUY IT! yes, shirley horn is wonderful, 'you wont forget me' is the first i heard and at first thought it was a new miles davis record until her sultry voice began with the title phrase. i have msot of her recent things and some of the old. ying tan had vinyl when he was running pacific vinyl with michael hobson, pre classic record days. thats where i picked up 'amused to death' on vinyl for 25. >>>>>>>>back to shirley horn...im rerallyh pissed. i saw her live at the cinegrill in LA after 7kyrs of anticipation. it was the 2nd set and when her band members had to help her onto stage, i thought that ist ws due to some physical infirmity. it wasnt, she was stoned on something, alcohol or other. she spent half of the time in a daze, not realizing even that she was on stage. i love her recordings, which ive had a hard time llistening to since,but sheel never get another penny form me in performance. what a disappointment. her video 'heres to life' is realy something, and the cd got a grammy. talk about piano players! brubecks got nothing on shirley. just listen to her albums, some of it is just awesome and especially in view of the fact that she sings while playing this good. the recordings are good quality also. onward,,,,,miles--TUTU. oh yeah, this is a great one. SIESTA, movie music that has a distinctly sketches flavor. and lets not forget the mosaic LP set of the gil evans sessions. i bought this one early, $171 delivered. check the prices now..... bela fleck:'flight of the cosmic hippo' first heard at a sterephile show on avalon ascents,inergetics subs + equip, with all xlo cables, demoed by roger skoff. very fine stuff for evalluating the transition from your sats to your subs. great fun as music also. didnt recognize 'star spangled banner' untio my daughter pointed it out to me. live recordings--direr straits 'on the night'. the instant i heard the crowd noise, i knew it was going to be a great one. patricia barber 'companion',, good new fem voc. her previous stuff is good too. heard it first on KLON (check this station out onm the web @klon.org! superb jazz station. kurt elling 'the messenger' and alson his new live one. great scat, intelligent music, keeps you interested. it came as no surprise to me when HP declared mehta's planets to be great. for the uninformed-holst:the planets suite with the LA phil. the musicians were having fun playing familiar and loved music while the recording team was nearly perfect in capturing the event. been listening to it since the 70s. i saw it at a stereophile show used pile for $75, got it in canyon country, ca in an easy listenig pile for $3! its now avail on cd coupled with also sprach zarathustra, and star wars (upc#28945.29102 4) pictures at an exhibition on telarc with lorin maazel and the cleveland orch-----difinitive performance, powerful recording and FINALE. for the definitive performance in my opinion (who asked for it?)is..................TOMITA. man, you can just about see the dance of the unborn chicks. pictures indeed. wellll, that just about does it for now. this was fun, and with no interrupting cows. later, ill be back.
Peter gabriel and early Genesis still sounds great but inferior recordings makes it tough to stay hooked on them. Heard a Stanley Clarke concert in the mid 70's and I have enjoying Jazz/fusion ever since. ECM recording are topnotch Terje Rypdal Eberhard weber,Metheny,Kieth jarrett to name a few. Return to Forever(Romantic warrior) Al di Meola(kiss my axe) are real system testers. Phil Collins'fusion band Brand X had about 10 great albums. Most of Andreas Vollenwieder. Camel. Patrick O'hearn's music and recordings can make one melt. Patricia Barber is HOT.
To David99, I'm a Ram is most probably the version done by Roy Buchanan. He is a Blues/Rock artist, and has done this song on at least two releases. One is from 1975, On Polydor #2391152, and the other is a newer (1992) anthology. The song is originally an Al Green song, but his version is more "funk" or "soul" than pure Blues. The only other artist that I know of that did this in a Blues/Rock fashion is Five Hundred Pounds, titled "Big Daddy." My vote, based on your description is the Roy Buchanan version. The 1975 would be available on LP, the 1992 version could be possibly either.