Nakamichi Cassette Decks

I would like to hear from anyone who can tell me if the Nakamichi decks are better than say a upper end Denon DRW 800A, And second is there a big dirrence in the way the different models sound in playback mode. I' thinking of buying a Nakamichi MR2
fleeceba
I agree that Naks rule, but as mentioned above Teac and Tandberg, especially Tandberg, made some really sweet decks. If you're going to get a Nak get something older, the newer decks were still nice, but they didn't have that "magic" sound quality of the truly great Naks. Besides with used prices being what they are, it's easy to get a great deck cheap.
I currently own the 680ZX, 550 (2 of them), and 480. I preferred the 680Zx to the Dragon and think it could be one of the best decks Nak built.

I also own a Tandberg 440A and that is quite a nice deck as well. You can occasionally find them on eBay pretty cheap.
No one has referred to the MR2 that i mentioned does this model have the magic that the other ones have, It is an older model i beleive they were made in 1986. And can be had quite reasonably
Nakamichi was the king of analog decks. There were other nice decks but in total performance others usually paled.
I still have a ZX-7 that sounds great. IMHO it is the top of the heap with manual azimuth alignment on the record head, manual bias and sensitivity controls for each channel (L & R). It's a tweakers dream machine. It was the last of the belt drive systems and I found it quieter and more timbre correct than the direct drive systems that followed (ie. ZX-9, etc). The Dragons have azimuth alignment on the playback head if I’m not mistaken and do not achieve the same high level of recording capability but are none the less popular because they play any tape back well. Take your pick on what you find of most importance. Just a little reality check; a spotless ZX-7 went for $255.00USD on ebay last week. Not a bad price to pay considering that in the production years between 1981-5 the deck grabbed $1350.00.
Fleeceba about the MR2 that you have an interest in I can not speak but most Naks in their class will out perform the rest. Happy Listening!