Need MC Step-Up Transformer advice?

I'm thinking of a different approach dealing with my low output Benz MC Cartridge.
What is the feeling and opinion in this forum about Step-Up transformers .vs. active amplification.

Right now I'm using a Audible Illusions M3A (With Gold Phono boards), Levinson Amp and Quads.
I will probably be changing preamps soon - not sure to what.

Anyone have experience with multiple transformers that can guide me towards some and away from others?

Thanks, Steve
rotary914
I use a Benz M2 (0.8mV) and have found the K&K step-up that uses Lundahl transformers to be a good match. These come in kit form but for a nominal fee Kevin Carter will build them for you. You can also have the output cables hardwired (I chose this) and while the step-up ratio and gain is set at the time of order (14db, 20db, or 26db), it can be changed later if you can solder or know someone who else who can as Kevin provides the schematic for each gain level. I have been using this step-up with a Hagerman Trumpet and have been pleased with the sound.

While I do not know if these are compatible with Benz, I have heard very positive things about them: Bent Audio, Steven & Billings, Tribute, Audio Note, and if you can find one used, Cotter. Some of these come ready to use and others require you to build the casings, etc.

As Dougdeacon mentioned you'll be in for a variety of opinions here. Wait, what's that I here, bunker down I think I here Raul coming.
Hi Steve

I have been using step-ups for a number of years, and they are not half as bad as people make them out to be. If fact, I much prefer the gain from a step up to active amplification.

If you are on the cautious side and do not want to spend a boatload of money, I would suggest you give Kevin at K&K a call. You can buy a Lundahl kit step-up or (I have been told) he will sell you an already assembled step-up. Considering their modest price, I give them 11 out of 10 for sonics.

On another thread there is a short discussion on burning in step-ups. This is a procedure that you need to do to get the step-up to sound its best.

Regards
Paul

Ps. I am not affiliated with K&K in any way. I am simply a (very) satisfied client.
vintage fidelity research transformers are very good; had one and sold it....mistake...thought I would not require one again after I acquired a Modulus 3A with the gold/low output phono board. The modulus is gone due to its inability to accomodate typical NOS tubes (it burns them up or they fail) due to its design.

denon has a couple of transformers available brand new from Audio Cubes; an entry level and a fairly pricey one. I've always had good luck with Denon transformers at all price levels; they are all good...just some are better than others.
Dear Steve, Dear friends: There is a misconception about step-up transformers and that´s why ( like Doug says ) exist differents opinions.

No one in his healthy judgement ( sorry Doug ) can " love " them and if he do that confirm the no know-how about.

The SUT is an old patch for bad SS phonopreamps designs and for the inherent limitations on tube phonopreamps for handle low output MC cartridges. It is a " chip solution to a complex problem ".

Any SUT has many inherent disadvantages like: distortions generated at the core ( it does not matters if is: air core ), heavy phase discharge ( landslide ), high apt to take hum, the wide zone ( band ) can't go down to DC, severe roll-off at high and low frecuencies, the reactive impedance on the SUT is incompatible with the cartridge impedance: this cause that we never could have flat frecuency response when we are using SUT, this mismatch between the impedances promote that the signal that pass through any SUT will be equalized ( yes, exactly like the problems between tube amplifier and loudspeakers because of those impedances ).
Any time with any of you we can make the tests and prove all those disadvantages and others like the additional cables that you have to use, additional connectors, the SUT is an additional ( filter ) link in the analog audio chain: How can you love it? !!!!!!!!!!!

I want to let clear that there is no single advantage, in any way, using SUT's, any of them: it does not matters their design or price.

The SUT always be a : wrong PATCH.

Doug, I don't hate them because I don't have to use them. You like many others peoples have to tolerate them because you choose to handle a low output MC cartridge through a tube technology that preclude ( by design ) the use of low output MC cartridges.

Steve, till today: active amplification is the right way to go.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul & Others,

I am also in the same situation regarding a step -up vs active gain stages. My question is which option would better guard against the cartridge seeing DC offset? I have an Allerts MC1B MkII (0.65mv, 22 ohms coil impedance) with very thin and delicate coil windings that I am told could burn out very easily is exposed to DC offset.

Would a transfornmer block DC offset from a phonostage? What type of phonostage design would produce the least DC offset at its input? Does the rather high 22 ohms coil impedance impact the transformer vs active gain decision?

Have you had any problems with your Allerts MC2? Does it require anything "special" to deal with the high coil impendance and fragile coil windings?

Thanks all for your help.......Joe P