About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
This morning is not so different from numerous other days of recent months, in that I find I am thinking of Mr. Patrick Malone, and there are sometimes tears being shed; the only difference is, if there happen to be a few extra flowing on this day, that's because now some are ones of joy, to know that my friend's long battle is over and he can be at Peace.

Even on the first day Pat is gone from us, he continues to find ways to touch me anew, through Paul's wonderful recounting of how Pat said this thread saved him from feeling alone, and how it has been such a great year he wouldn't have traded it for being well; and Howard telling us about Pat's wish, if he must die this way, to give everything he had to give to others in the process. I think it's a safe bet that Pat gave even more than he imagined he was capable of, and I'm sure he'd say the same about this community regarding what it gave him (and each other, and ourselves). Well he'd be right: I think we all gave, and took, and learned, and accomplished more here than we - certainly I - could have imagined back at the start. And for that we can all be thankful.

Thanks too, to Audiogon, for hosting perhaps the most 'off-topic' (but really, I might suggest, the most pertinent) thread in their history in the single best way they could have done - not, I suspect, because they had to, even though it may not have been so feasible an option to have done otherwise - but because they wanted to. The thread is representative of the best that Audiogon has helped to be brought out within, and brought to, all of us, and that is something to be proud of.

Rest easy, Pat, and thank you: I realize I didn't know you all that well (nor you me), and we may not have shared all the same beliefs, but you are an example to me, imperfections included, of a man who deeply understood - and let himself learn - how to Be, plain and simple, even though life is not plain and simple, as you were not either, as any of us are not. We can call it some kind of grace, or wisdom; it is Love, and may it continue to fill and sustain Barb and your family and friends for the days and years yet to come. May that be the way for us all.

Happy listening always, Alex.
I can think of no words for Barb and Amanda other than for you to take joy in what Pat has done for all of us here. His life was truly a blessing to us all.

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
Romans 8:18
It seems like it was yesteday that Pat and Barb came to visit Portland. We knocked around the used record shops and second hand audio stores, had some good meals, told some bad jokes, listened to some good live jazz and enjoyed the camraderie that comes from deep personal respect. Pat was weary, but his spirit shone through it all. I wish it were yesterday again. We will miss you Pat.

Marty Kohn
Portland, OR
11/10/05
I might be like many others, in that I wasn't a regular contributor to this thread (other than the first day) but I kept up with the news and thought of Patrick and what was going on.

We had emailed a few times last year about various things and I thought I would be able to stop by for a visit. We'll still be able to visit, just not in these earthly bodies.

My sincerest condolences to Patrick's family.
My deepest sympathy to Pat's wife, family and friends.

Your suffering is over, God Bless and forever rest in eternal peace Pat, you will always be loved and remembered as a part of this community and many others.

Pat (Rx8man)