About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Not the kind of news any of us want to hear about Lugnut.

Pat and I have exchanged emails and posts since he first arrived at Audiogon. I consider him a friend as well as an important part of our community.

I hope his spirited behavior can translate into perseverance to fight this attack on his body. I believe his strength and conviction will serve him in this tough time and I will have him in my prayers.
Pat and I met in the spring of 1975 at the University of Nebraska. We immediately acknowledged our mutual love of music
and shared many many evenings listening to recorded music and playing acoustic guitars together. He is such a great host with such a good ear for the aesthetics as well as the artistry of music. His pursuit of fine audio was evident even back then. His pleasant nature and kindness to others is an inspiration to those around him. As he and his family face this difficult time, I am confident that a lifetime of sowing the seeds of kindness and laughter will return to Pat, untold acres of good will, and assistance along with our prayers.

Love, Jeff (Ampster)
Well, if Kelly can come out so can I. You guys. I've alwasys considered myself to be tough. Had to be growing up chubby with the name of Pat. But, I'm a sentimental guy and the thoughts in this post have lifted my spirits, not to mention made me cry. Not crying due to sadness but because it seems I conveyed adequately who I am in my writing in the threads. Thank you all so much for the kind words expressed on this page and the personal emails sent my way. I'm not depressed but I admit to being reluctant to go through a difficult surgery that'll surely make me whimpy, for a minute anyway. God gives us each day and I really believe that we are supposed to enjoy them. I am and intend to enjoy each day as best I can. Vetterone (Steve) has enlisted help locally to convert our music room into a recovery room. Now, get this. My wife, who has never handled a record we've owned, has promised to learn the care and feeding of vinyl and the details of running the turntable so we can listen together as I heal. That means a great deal to me knowing that she can enjoy all of this music without me having to do it for her. Again, I appreciate all of the kind sentiments. This isn't going to be an easy fight but I'll give it my all. Bless each and every one of you and if I might be incorrect politically, remember the reason for the season. Merry Christmas to everyone. You have made my Christmas already.
Lugnut,

Nothing but best wishes and God Bless.

I got the SOTA spinning tonight. I will think of you and raise a toast in your honor.

Nothing but best wishes.

Steelhead.