What are the Best FM tuners?

This is an often asked question. This is my current list of favorites:
A. Good out of the box, judging sound quality only, not in order of preference because each has merits:

1. Very rare Accuphase T-103
2. 1 out of 10 Tandberg TPT 3001As
3. Onkyo T-909
4. Bogen TP-100
5. Akai AT-S7
6. JVC FX-1100B
7. NEC T-710
8. Onix Audio BWD-1
9. Kenwood KT-990D
10.Crown FM-2
11.Marantz ST-17
12.Sim Audio "Moon"

B. Modified tuners, both RF and audio performance, in order of preference:

1. Kenwood KT-727
2. Kenwood KT-3200D
3. NEC T-6E
4. SAE 8000
5. Accuphase T-101
6. Sony ST-S550ES
7. Onkyo T-4500
8. Tandberg TPT-3011A
9. McIntosh MR-74
10.Luxman T-110
11.Onkyo T-909
12.MD-102, early version

Sure, there are others -- and you may have your own opinions -- but these have proven to be excellent choices over the past 20 years.
bdscott
I owned a Mac 77, 78, Kenwood 917, Sansui 9900, and a Sansui TUX-1. The X1 makes the rest look sick, except the 9900 is close but no cigar. I even had my own shootout with all four. A totaly invalid shootout because I do not know of each ones alignment.
Bpaulovich --- Good point you make of coming to conclusions with tuners having questionable alignments and having only one sample of a tuner on hand for evaluation. This often accounts for wrong conclusions. I just finished two TU-X1s: alignment, IEC jack, lamps. One also had a problem in the first RF stage, the second one was more sensitive but the AM had some problems. Of three recent TU-9900s, only one was a killer. The best audio I have obtained from a Sansui is from a modified TU-417 and similar TU 317. The bass is so good and extended that air conditioning rumble on many classical programs can be heard. This does not happen often on any tuner. One owner tossed in the towel on his MR-80 in favor of the much cheaper TU-317. Also, the TU-417 and TU-317 need an additional IF filter to snuff up selectivity.
Thank you for your valued input.
though i hate to sound like a proud modder / owner, i am willing to put my recently aligned kenwood kt-8300 up against most anything. it just plain embarassed (stock) a mac mr-65 i used to own, and the mods i made (well documented on the FM yahoo board and fmtunerinfo's web site) really made a helluva difference. when live local broadcasts come in (studio banter, etc), its spooky real.

stock, the tuner is thin and SS-sounding. w/ mods, its a different story. and fwiw, the choice in parts used was of tremendous importance.
I just finished upgrading three TU-9900s. One of them is probably one of the best tuners ever: great stereo, treble and bass extensions, and reception capabilities.