TT/ cartridge recommendations $1000

I recently bought a Rogue 99/88 preamp/amp combo and Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rod speakers and want to enjoy my old vinyl again. Can I get a new TT/cartridge combo that will work well with this combo for about $1000 or less ? Thanks for your recommendations.
bigo
Thanks again for the input. You have helped consider some points I would not have thought of as a new audio enthusiast. One more question guys.
I still have my Dual 1237 from the 1980s. If I replaced my cartridge with lets say a Goldring 1042 or Rega Elys could I expect a reasonable sound ? I am also planning to buy a record cleaner like the Nitty Gritty Reocrd Master or 1.0. Any comments about that ? Thanks in advance. Len
animal, hi end the 1200 is NOT. damped or not. for my $1k, i scored a vpiHW19III/smeIVw damping/sumiko virtuoso dtiVDH/mit cable w/WBTs. lucky is the word. look here in audiogon for way better TTs than ANY technics.
its not that they arent ok, just not truly hi end. the tt bearings, dd, arm bearings just arent up to the hi end standard.
that the 1200 has detachable, universal headshell is fun so you can change out carts, the finer carts qualities just wont come thru on the 1200s arm.
........regards......tr
animal, i dont mean to be your oponent here. with any table, musicality should be near the top of the priority list. this can be accomplished with the 1200 without deluding yourself like the guy forom italy. in NO way does the 1200 approach the sme setup.
the arm weakness can be overcome by using a vi5Vxmr. it will isolate the cart somewhat and damping wont be needed as the brush system does just that. j+r music world is selling these for about $219.
most arms comewith a cuing lever, that can make it GIRL FRIENDLY. ;^)
the marble slab with the tube is good but may be unstable. i found that the swim toys from toysRus hav arm floaties (2 per pak, youll need 2 paks) aranged one in each corner, adjusted for levleness, COMPLETELY isolate my phase llinear straight line tracking tt form the cabinet! cheeeeeeeep, and verrrrry effective, although not pretty. cheeeeep is good, especially when it works.
.....regards......tr
PSYCHIC-animal, that is, Tommy...

Remember, compare oranges to oranges, apples to apples. I paid $450 + tax for my armored beast--it will outperform those TTs made in that second world country with a strange name, as well as British made particle board TTs. It will also outlive them...

It's not fair to compare the modified 1200 rig to used VPIs and the like. For what I paid I got a bad ass deck. Fun, good sounding, long lasting and rugged.

I'll let you guys how my rig ends...so far it's looking good.