oppo 105d straightup

Anybody find the your oppo playback just fine without dismantaling it for modding...changing it's character.

Listening to this thing and it sound's descent to me...Yes I know it's not the best and most expensive...I have had a lot of players and am not new to this game...Just curious to hear what other's have found?

yes I know there some that will pipe in and bestow the benefits of modding...not interested...want to hear from people that aren't on the modding bandwagon.
digsmithd
Some very interesting answers guys...thanks so much.

Will have to say that dealing with dan has always been a painless experience...when it comes to have to deal with customer service...modwright will treat you right...as well as oppo from modwrights high admiration of that company.
I assume we are talking about CD and network music playback. I had the '95 and I found it competent as a CD player and sonically adequate on the network (But DLNA sucks). I did preferred my Squeezebox Touch / DAC setup for network and my old Simaudio Moon Nova for CD. Consequently I eschewed the 105 for a 103 when I upgraded.

Edit - I would add that I would probably put my money into a good DAC and use a 103 as input through the digital coax than get a modded unit. This takes into consideration the fast developments in video technology. You will always be able to use a good DAC. Old video equipment is to the landfill.
Late to the question, but I am pretty happy with the 2 channel audio performance of my 105D without mods. I'm using it mostly as a dac fed by macmini / audirvana+ / Schitt Wyrd/ AQ Carbon USBs playing redbook and all formats of high rez including native DSD. The rest of my system(i.e. posted as "Silence of the Lamms") is fairly high end, though certainly not as expensive or trendy as many systems here.

After hearing the Oppo compared to many dacs up to $4k, the only one that I wish I could add to the system is the Schitt Audio Yggdrasil at $2300.

My understanding is that the Oppo is not truly balanced and thus the XLR outs shouldn't be offering any improvement vs. the RCA analog outs. Granted, the inputs of your linestage might make a difference. In my rig, which includes fully balanced linestage and balanced monoblock amps with balanced input, there is no difference between Oppo outputs XLR vs. RCA. YMMV. Cheers,
Spencer
My Oppo has many, many hours on it. I had not tried XLR connections until I read this thread. I have since purchased some moderately priced Audio Art XLR inter-connects here and the difference is nothing short of stunning. I can't believe I waited so long to try this. Better sound across the board and with the volume nob much lower than before. Great Tip 68pete.
More to discover